• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Caramel Apple Pork Chops

SpurgeonH

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and made it last night. Very easy and very tasty! (If I did anything different than the recipe, I put it in parentheses)

Ingredients:

* 4 (3/4 inch) thick pork chops
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 2 tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
* 3 tablespoons pecans (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Place a medium dish in the oven to warm. (Instead of a "dish", I used another skillet)

2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. (I only set it to medium) Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, or until done. Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the preheated oven.

3. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter to skillet, and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops. Keep warm in the preheated oven.

4. Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops. Sprinkle with pecans. (I had the pecans on the counter, and forgot to put them on! Ugh.)

m21Dwtl.jpg

6MuLwXy.jpg

TkR3nRG.jpg

tTa2kEq.jpg

DMELw3z.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the apples in the skillet. Well, I did take one, but the lid was on. HA!

Future changes:
- the next time I make this, I will cut the apple slices in half or maybe even thirds (only for aesthetics)
- I will increase the amount of butter/brown sugar. The sauce was awesome. A larger quantity to pour over the chops would have been even better.

Back