Dealing with the Pits

Michael B

So...I found this Griswold down by the creek and though I'd take a shot at cleaning it up. A few hours in vinegar plus a lot of elbow grease reveals some significant pitting (see detailed photo). I know this will never be a museum piece but it would be nice to be able to cook on it. What's the wisdom on this? Can I clean it up a little more, season it - pits and all - and have an acceptable pan? Or should I commit to grinding this down until the pits are gone? Or should I just hang it on a nail and show folks the pan I found down by the creek?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 78
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 84
  • pitting.jpg
    pitting.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 87
It's still smoother than any modern unpolished pan, and there aren't any contiguously eroded areas as far as I can see. Season it and start using, I'd say. It'll even out.

Thanks. And I can still tell the 'found it down by the creek' story. I can make the story at least as good as the pan.

:)

I have a #8 Lodge 1 notch that is I similar shape. I just plan on using it. Over time, it will become beautiful.

I have a #12 Wapak that was very pitted when I bought it, I knew that going in. After 2 years of semi regular use, the pits are almost gone. As for your pan, a #9 Griswold is WORTH the effort to season it up. I agree, cook bacon and burgers i it, youll love it. I have a #9 Griswold that I use daily, and the logo is gone from pitting, but its smooth as glass.

Well, Tell us the story..... I know i cant be the only one wanting to hear it.

Ive got a Wapak 8 quart pot that was pitted really bad inside on the bottom. Ive used it exclusivly for bacon the last couple of years and the pits are all almost gone. It wont happen over night,but will happen.

Thanks for all the encouragement! Here's a photo of the seasoned pan. What a beautiful golden bronze color it took on. I know it'll migrate toward black with time, but the bronze is an amazing base to be starting from!

Attachments

• sealed.jpg
    sealed.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 63
heck thats in good shape. A few of mine looked worse than that and I stuck them on the front burner. With regular use frying bacon, sausage, and burgers those pits will be hidden until next time it is stripped for re seasoning.

Back