Hi from NJ

George S.

I have been collecting cast iron for a while now and just found this forum. So I recently found a Slant logo #8 Griswold 704R skillet with a heat ring. Just wondering if anyone could give me some info about it. Thanks for any info you can give and I look forward to hearing about it.

The trademark with the "slant" logo was in use from ~ 1906-1929, first in the configuration known as the "slant Erie", where only the word "ERIE" appeared below it, and subsequently on pieces referred to as "slant EPU", where the ERIE was replaced by "ERIE, PA., USA", and other markings were added. We know from ghosts of the "ERIE" marking on "EPU" pieces that older patterns were altered with newer markings. Smooth bottom skillets with the "slant EPU" markings have been dated 1939-1944, but as yours has the heat ring, it would be from the latter part of the 1906-1929 range. Look closely around the "PA." on yours to see if there's a ghost of "ERIE" under it.

http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php

Thanks Doug D for the info, here's a photo of the "PA" doesn't seem to be a ghost of "Erie". I picked up this pan for $3 at a garage sale. Any clue on a price for this pan? It's going to end up in my collection and get used.

Thanks again

If not warped, cracked or pitted, I'd say anything under $30 is a deal. I would expect to see higher on eBay these days.

Cool! It doesn't seem warped,cracker or pitted, I am seasoning it now and can't wait to cook in it! Thanks again. I also got this one as well just got the layer of burnt crud off the bottom and found "Erie" d 9

Back