Howdy from Mo.

Brad H

Just recently found this place!! I do a little Civil War Reenactong/Living History, so cook on CI quite often!!!

Brad, did the soldiers in the Civil War use a lot of iron cookware or was it tin or steel? The weight of cast iron would seem to make it a both to carry on the battlefield and over hill and dale.

Also, how do the reenactors know if a piece of iron cookware is from the Civil War and before era or do they care? The old iron is very hard for me to identify as to the time period so any help would be appreciated.

What are the most used pieces in reenacting of iron cookware and what were the most used pieces in the war?

I would think that IF the cast iron was available, they would have used it. Those that foraged and "found" CI would have used it at least at that camp. I doubt they carried it far if Campaigning to different battles. A small tin skillet, or cook using a tin plate, canteen half or cup/mucket would be a lot less weight!

No clue how to tell actual period pieces? I have a good old Wagner DO and a Lodge DO with Cabelas cast in the lid. I cover that one up when folks wander thru camp lol!! We use both of my DO's and a couple of 8-20" skillets. When we have a big camp the Capt. has a big cauldron, 20 gal or so but it's a bear to clean!!!

In the early war, the Mo. State Guard boys "borrowed" a lot of gear. From wagons and mules to cookware. To a certain extent they could haul most thing in the supply wagons. I suspect as the war progressed, such comforts weren't as available! Food included!!!

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Here's a few pics from different events.

1st Sgt. Daisy

b2f87434.jpg

Possum, stirrin' up something good.

a70901ef.jpg

Coffees good in tin!!!

509db6d7.jpg

We call this the Mongo Dome!!

372a93be.jpg

Possum cooking sausage n eggs in the pot, buiscuits in the Dutch ovens under coals!!

61ec8fce.jpg

I'm the tall guy with the musket

5e50b3d7ed420e41ce0e39f774d3245b_zpsb7a654c2.jpg

Back