New to forum

Bradley Stuart

My name is Bradley Stuart. I have been collecting cast iron for a couple of years. I belong to a Facebook group called "cast iron cooking"
That group is how I found out about this site. The information found here we use daily to help identify our newly found cast iron. I personally only collect vintage cast iron and have nearly 200 pieces. I have used electrolysis for a couple of years but currently use lye baths as my usual method of cleaning. I have come up with a seasoning method quite unique. I melt down 4 parts crisco to 1 part bee wax and allow to harden in mold. This I use to season my cast iron as well as after each wash. It works well for me, and even smells a little better.

What is your seasoning procedure? I use the temperatures and times suggested in this site and have been very pleased with the results.

:redface: Ugggh, I had too many windows open and made my first faux pas. SGriffin is the member from VA. None the less, hello.

What is your seasoning procedure? I use the temperatures and times suggested in this site and have been very pleased with the results.

I heat my cleaned cast iron at 200 degrees for 20 minutes so it will be nice and hot. I put a coat of "Crisbee" on and put in oven for 1 hour at 250 degrees. A second application at 300 degrees for one hour and it is ready for use. I use a light coat after each wash and dry cycle.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

:redface: Ugggh, I had too many windows open and made my first faux pas. SGriffin is the member from VA. None the less, hello.

Hello to you too:)

Back