Hello

JohnC

I found this site through surfing the web to try to identify a cast-iron Dutch-oven I bought for $5 at an estate sale today. There is only a number 8 on the bottom of the pan and also on the underside of the matching lid. I am not into really collecting, although, I could see myself being interested in doing so. But really, I have a few pans my mom gave me, which are basically new. But my sister is an avid collector for actually using them to cook and she said to look at yard sales. So, basically I wanted one to cook with, and I like the idea that something is old and has some history as opposed to going down and buying a new one.

So, I stumbled literally on this Dutch-oven and I.m curious as to what its history is. Any help would be much appreciated. I have attached a few pictures. Other than a strange (kinda looks like a genie lamp to me) type of marking on the underside the lip of the pan, there is an "8" on the bottom of the pan

Attachments

• IMG_7547.jpg
    IMG_7547.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7548.jpg
    IMG_7548.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 18
Here are a few more pictures... Any idea the maker, the age etc.?

Thanks again for any help!!

Attachments

• IMG_7549.jpg
    IMG_7549.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7550.jpg
    IMG_7550.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7552.jpg
    IMG_7552.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 9
This is a Lodge. The markings and characteristics appear to put it late 1940s, I would say. The raised mark under the assist handle appears to be what's called a molder's mark, and is usually a letter, but can sometimes be distorted due to hasty application at the time of the mold creation. Since (according to their website) Lodge started using automated production in 1950, one might expect to not see manually applied markings after that point. The inside should be polished, and, if not pitted, $5 on a piece of this vintage is a steal.

Awesome, thank you Doug D. The pan appears pretty clean and somewhat polished and needs a bit more cleaning. There aren't really any major pitting spots other than some that are very tiny, and a few random scratch marks. Not sure what it is actually worth to someone, but it's more important to me to know and claim a circa 1940's date. I'm pretty happy about that. I know it will clean up even better and look forward to when it is. What would these go for value-wise??

Thanks in advance!!

Pitting from rust is usually observed covering the entire inside bottom of a pan (pot left sitting level with water in it), or in an area of the inside bottom and sidewall bounded on one side by a straight line (pot left propped up somewhere with water left in it). Random pits in an otherwise smooth cooking surface are more likely pinpoint casting voids, which seasoning will eventually fill in. As to value, condition is everything. If it's not warped, cracked, or pitted, I'd say $25-30, although I always like finding pieces at a bargain when I can. If you found this at a flea market, it would probably be priced around that with some room for negotiation; at an antique store probably quite a bit more, if the seller has any knowledge of cast iron.

Awesome, thanks for all the information. I would say after reading your last reply, its definitely in great shape. No warping or cracks and the little pitting it does have is from the casting. I need to expend a bit more elbow grease to finish cleaning it up, then I'll season it. Going to use it this weekend and for years to come!!

Nice piece. Good score for $5. I have been baking a ton of bread in my dutch ovens. There are great recipes for dutch oven bread online and super easy to make.

Welcome!

Back