Enameled Griswold

Nichole M

Hello, I have just gotten used to using cast iron skillets. I have two vintage Griswold Dutch ovens that appear to have a black enameled coated interior. Do I treat and use these the same as my skillets? Do I season them and do I cook in them as if they were bare cast iron is my meaning. And can I expect the same non stick results I have become accustomed to? Maybe it's a silly question, but it's best asked than wondered about.

The insides of the lids should be the only enameled part, known as Clean Easy covers. The enamel requires no treatment, but the top should be seasoned at least once to rustproof it. Stripping these lids can be tricky, as you don't want lye to etch the enamel. Lye bath users have found the lid can be floated upside down to remove unwanted existing seasoning from the top.

The insides of the lids should be the only enameled part, known as Clean Easy covers. The enamel requires no treatment, but the top should be seasoned at least once to rustproof it. Stripping these lids can be tricky, as you don't want lye to etch the enamel. Lye bath users have found the lid can be floated upside down to remove unwanted existing seasoning from the top.

Thank you! The interior is so dark I assumed it was enameled. My smaller #7 has no enameling on the lid but the #8 is clearly black enameled. I was rather perplexed by the insides but now I know they are just cast iron with no special requirements (outside of the usual). Here is a pic of the interior. I guess it's just the way these are. Again, thanks Doug.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 61
The insides of their DOs were nicely polish ground smooth. It's lucky to find one in such nice condition.

Back