Hello from Missouri

TyHiggins

I came across this forum while researching how to identify unmarked cast iron, which I found very helpful (looks like I have a 1900-1910 #7 Lodge). I've had the fever for a long time, I've gone from collector to hoarder to dealer to hoarding again. If it's a deal then I get it, the popularity of cast iron seems to be soaring, and the good old stuff will only get rarer and more sought after. I'll have to get a camera to show off my collection, which includes Wagner smooth bottom #3 through #10 (it took forever to find the #7 for some reason), Griswold large logo #3 through #8, with an extra #8, an Iron Mountain #7 through #9 (I really like those, hope to add to it), a couple of Lodge #8's (I mentioned the #7) from 1930 to 1950, a 1930's #3 (has the name, same as one of the #8's) and a #5 I suspect to be older Lodge, has a beautiful raised 5 on the handle but no other marks, inner heat ring, and small for a #5. Then there is a #8 Best Made, has sulphur pitting on the bottom center but a fine cooker. I really love my #9 Wapak, block letters, and I recently pounced on a #10 Vollrath, named, for $22. I also have a #3 unnamed Vollrath, I love those egg pans, and anything with an outer heat ring. Out waiting for their turn in the electrolysis are two #3 Wagner's, a beautiful #3 BSR I suspect is 1930's, so large I thought I'd come across a #4 at first, an unnamed pre-1960 #5 Wagner, and a hammered neat #5 I just acquired.

That pretty much covers the skillets. Just yesterday I acquired two awesome chicken fryers, one is almost a #9 and had a #8 Iron Mountain lid, a hair small for it. then I found a lidless 1940's Lodge #8, the IM lid fits it perfectly. It's the other fryer I'm really excited about though, no marks whatsoever, outer heat ring, thin cast and superb quality, a true what's in a name skillet. The #8 Lodge sets inside it like it's nearly a size larger. The one unique thing that may help identify it is the handle, the end just has a small roundish hole instead of the elongated typically sen. I'm getting ready to take it to a store where I've seen just a lid for sale, a superb quality #8 1/2. If it fits I'll get it. I like deep skillets better than Dutch Ovens, of which I have a #8 Griswold Tite-Top minus bail and lid ($10, no way I'd pass it up, and I found a very decent nameless lid for it), a complete #9 Tite-Top, a #8 Ozark with beehive lid, and my most recent find a #8 Maid of Honor, which seems to be something of a mystery. It's deep and large for a #8 and quite heavy, but the price was sure right. I also have two #12 campfire DO's I suspect are unnamed Lodge.

For miscellaneous I have two Wagner breadstick pans, a Wagner Junior cornstick pan, a Wagner high base waffle iron with wood handles, and a Wagner muffin pan, makes 11. Then I have griddles, an unnamed with an 8 and a smaller 7 on the bottom, probably Lodge, smaller than my #8 large logo Gris which matches the #9, and then a unnamed pre-1960 Wagner skillet griddle for when I want a huge omelet. I also have a small double griddle, raised 6 on the bottom (Lodge) and just found a 17" unnamed pre-1960 Wagner (the link on here how to identify unmarked items has been a huge help). A recent find, which I was later astounded to pay only $5 for, is a miniature (toy) waffle iron. It has no name, but otherwise is identical in every way to a 1930's Stover I found for sale online for $165.

Well I may have forgotten some, but that about sums it up, for now anyway. Hope to make some friends on here, and I'm sure glad I found this place.

Thanks Ken, and nice guesswork on that possible ship's pot in Ontario.

Just a little update, I went over to Jim's Antique's in Bethany, and that #8 1/2 lid fit like it was made for it. I didn't balk at the $17.50 price, all it needed was a little steel wool and vinegar scrub, I have the fryer in the electrolysis tank. Shouldn't take long, it just had a thin layer of carbon buildup on the bottom. So does this mean it is a #8 1/2 pan, or was the lid fitting just a lucky fluke?

Sounds like you have a lid for a Favorite deep skillet/chicken fryer, which were both size marked "8 1/2". The taper of the sides of deep skillets usually meant a #8 deep was a larger top diameter than a regular #8. "8 1/2" was apparently Favorite's way of keeping everyone on the same page for lids fitting pans.

Does it look similar to this:

I was going to describe it in detail, you saved me the trouble. That is the lid for certain, which is also the same style as the nameless lid I have on my #8 Griswold DO. Now to figure out what make the skillet itself is.

Back