New from NEK, Vermont

Jeffrey R.

Hello All. Looking to learn from all who know what I don't. I am A collector of all, A seller of all. Everything has a price. I can't take it all with me. I like antiques. Being a picker, I am looking for the old and crusty, or the diamond in the rough.

Lets start with this Griswold #16, would like to know more about it. I have cleaned and seasoned it. Would like your thoughts. Thank you Jeffery R.

Attachments

• griswold,16_7045.jpg
    griswold,16_7045.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 9
  • griswold,16_7047.jpg
    griswold,16_7047.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 7
A reasonably sought after Griswold collectible. They were made in 5 variations. The Haussler book would be a good resource if you come across Griswold gem/muffin pans with some frequency. Here's another variation:

Hi There,

If I had a book for every antique thing I get my hands on, I would not have room for any antiques. I have a bad problem, I keep to much.:icon_thumbsup:

So what variation are mine and yours? I was looking at the THE "BOOK of WAGNER & GRISWOLD"- Smith & Wafford, (red book). Never heard of the Haussler book.

Yours, according to Haussler, is a variation 1, with a rarity of 10 on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the most rare. The other variations he places at rarity 8, valuing them, at the time of publication (1997), at $450-650. The variation 1 he valued at $2500-3000. For current comparison, var. 5 pans appear to go these days on eBay for $100-150.

When Jon's book came out the prices were almost on the very high side. I think prices have fallen considerably since then from the prices then that pieces were actually selling for. There was a time when gem pans were selling for very high prices but I don't know if the prices reached the book price range.

Old and crusty, to the diamond. This is why we do what we do, Love it. Only problem is it does not happen enough.
Doug D. Thank you, does the book tell how many of variation 1 was made, and a year that they were made. From what I am hearing, there are few of them. Is that wrong information?

There are no production figures in the book, nor even estimates. The date range given for all #16 gems is 1910s-1940s.

Doug D., Steve Stephens, Thank You for sharing your time and knowledge to all.
Wish I found this site a long time ago. I sold a piece of ci that I was not 100% sure on. Thats life.

My #16 will make it's way to E-bay at some point. Like I said, I can't take it all with me.
I do have more cast iron that I will put up in New Collector's Corner.

Back