Wagner Ware hiding under the crud

Nichole M

I found this with a thick layer if black crud covering the bottom and sides. It was fairly thin and light with slightly higher and straighter sides than I have seen so I was interested for $10. When all the crud came off I was surprised to see the Wagner Ware on it. It is a different mold than I have seen so far on the Wagner ware skillets I have come across. I don't know if that means it's older or not but I may keep this one as I like the sides. I wonder if being thinner means I should handle it differently.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 69
“I wonder if being thinner means I should handle it differently.” Compared to a new Lodge, the answer is yes. Think fine china and treat it nice. Slower warmups, less heat and if you drop it make sure it lands on a pillow.

Hilditch

Slower warmups, less heat and if you drop it make sure it lands on a pillow.

Hilditch

Wise advice. When I broke my grandmother's skillet (dropped it on a hardwood floor) I was shocked out how thin the sides were. Her's was only about as thick as a business card.

Congrats on a great find!

Great find and cleanup! It looks nice and this is one of the things that I like about my new hobby, you never know what's coal and what's a diamond under all that crud.

Very nice Nichole! I really like my Wagner iron pans, and I hope you get lots of good use from this one. A good cleaning job; and do treat it with a bit of care--especially not dropping it except on a pillow.;-) As usual, good advice from Hilditch.

I've said it a number of times here and I'm gonna say it a lot more. I really love those big eared Wagners. They not only look real nice, but if you need to drain off excess liquid the large pour spouts allow it to drain more quickly. The higher sidewalls reduce those annoying spattering blobs of oil on your stovetop, and the lighter weight allows for more swirling and sliding stuff on the skillet.

Great find, Nichole. Enjoy that pan!

Nice skillet. Looks like 1924-1935 according to the logo timeline for Wagner.
Those time periods were from an amalgamation of various sources, most of which admit to not being terribly exact. In the case of this pan, I think we can actually narrow it down significantly if we accept the stylized log as being 1922 forward and the use of catalog numbers starting in 1924. That would place this pan more likely 1922-1924.

Those time periods were from an amalgamation of various sources, most of which admit to not being terribly exact. In the case of this pan, I think we can actually narrow it down significantly if we accept the stylized log as being 1922 forward and the use of catalog numbers starting in 1924. That would place this pan more likely 1922-1924.

Cool. Is there a way to update the logo timeline to reflect that? Or maybe I just misread it or didn't correctly interpret what is already there.

Back