Cooking in Cast Iron Rule # 1

W. Hilditch

Preheat your iron slowly.

OK, I have now posted all 10 rules of cast iron cooking. If you apply each of these rules you will discover their advantages. Such as this one where you will have a more evenly heated surface to cook on. I believe together they help create techniques and habits that will result in increased CI cooking success and pleasure.

It was interesting to note that in this video from the pitting question above,
https://youtu.be/vDreJNyYsD4 that the cook applied 5 of these rules.

Good luck,
Hilditch

HD, how about listing all 10 of them here or another thread? I understand why you posted them all separately and spaced them out, but it would save folks the trouble of hunting for them if they were so inclined.

Kevin, It appears the administrator didn’t think you would find value in 4 of the rules and deleted them. A good idea at the end to list all, but I don’t feel I’m allowed to do that. Sorry.

Hilditch

Posts with no replies are of little forum value, as they just fall farther and farther down the list to oblivion, much like on facebook. Spreading 10 related items out in random order over multiple threads and over an extended period of time can therefore be self-defeating. Listing all in a single thread or post would have been and would still be the more useful way to go.

Here's what I could find for the 10 Rules. I'd like to get the other four rules, both for me and for the friends who're not CI familiar, to whom I'm about to give skillets.

Ten Rules for Cooking in Cast Iron
1. Preheat your iron slowly.
2. Know what temp range you want to cook in before starting. Low, moderate or hot.
3. Have patience.
4. Don’t skimp on the oil or butter.
5. If you’re lookin’, you ain’t cookin’.
6. Once the food gets warm, you can turn the heat down a bit unless browning.
7. Above medium heat takes a special reason.
8. Do not fry bacon or eggs topless.
9. Don’t walk away unless you KNOW what the situation will look like upon your return.
10. Slide food sideways before turning.

I will add one.

Use the best oil or butter for your purpose. You don't fry chicken in butter and you don't sauté in lard.

Steve, very interesting. 2,4,7 & 8 do not show up on my screen even now. 7 disappeared after a day and 8 after 10 minutes. Those were the four I referenced. Glad you found them. There are not any more.

Thanks for posting the list.

Hilditch

Mark H, My neighbor and I don’t talk much but should I tell him he doesn’t really have to buy 32 lbs. of butter this fall for his turkey fryer?

Hilditch

I would suggest to him to save money and avoid a oil with low smoke point.

Use peanut oil or if price is important than use veg. oil.

Mark, you must like my neighbor more than I do. Although extremely extravagant, $150 +/- for unsalted butter to fry a $20 turkey, might work. Lightly boil the butter, skim and the butter is good for 450° before smoking. Proceed to fry at 350°. It might be good but I’ll stick to smoking/roasting now that I figured out how to get the thighs cooked without overcooking the breasts.

Hilditch

That's a lot of butter for sure. I use to fry turkey which of course is wonderful but too much work and cost.
Like you I like the smoked roasted bird much better.

I do my birds breast side down to allow the dark meat juice to drain down. Keeps the breast meat moist. Cooked 50 chickens this way for a wedding last weekend. Went well.

Mark, I wanted a lightly smoked turkey with dark meat that was done, not overly cooked juicy white meat and dressing that was cooked in the bird. According to my research, this is impossible. I disagree. If you or anyone else is curious you are welcome to hit the link below. The bird is simple but not so the cooking process. I think breast down works better with an unstuffed chicken than a turkeys they cook more evenly, but does help with a turkey. This is breasts up after the first 1/2 hour.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/Hilditch/media/Camp Inn/img342.jpg.html

You may enjoy a YouTube video; “Just put the f****** turkey in the oven” as it will reflect how most of America will deal with their turkey next thanksgiving - overcooked, dried out white meat.

Hilditch

Interesting method. I will give it a try soon. Turkey is done multiple times a year for wife and me. Four wild birds in the freezer from this season we just finished.

Back