cleaning unused castiron

Steve Traudt

I have a few pieces of castiron that appear to have never been used. One still has the Griswold label attached to the bottom. They have light rust and some discoloration. What method do you recommend to clean these items. I have been using a lye bath and electrolysis to clean other pieces. I do not want to submerge these....

Thanks Hilditch...I will give it a try, but. They are shiny. If I season them, will they not turn dark, aka black?

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Is the intent to preserve the labels, and not use them?
I do not plan to use them....just save for my family to determine what to do with 400 pieces of cast iron....

I'm no expert here, but couldn't you wash them (as stated above) and then coat them with a very light coat of mineral oil to prevent future rusting?

While you may want to leave the one with the label as it is, to preserve the label, my question would be why don't you want to clean the others at least with electro? If unused there should only be rust to contend with, and submerging shouldn't hurt anything. Or vinegar and a S/S scrubber. Mineral oil to keep rust from returning would be the next step if you don't intend to use.

Doug...thank you. Now what do I do with all this cast iron.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Thanks ....sounds like a good solution..i'll try it....

Doug...thank you. Now what do I do with all this cast iron....

No solid suggestions about what to do with your collection...IMHO, 400 pieces is a LOT. I would suggest, though, that you do SOMETHING to not curse your family with that decision, if you're approaching end of life situation. Museum, sales, ebay, whatever. If your family isn't interested, that much CI could end up at the scrap yard.

I don't have much CI (10-12 pieces), but I have other stuff, and no family interest, with the same set of "what do I do with it?" I enjoyed collecting it, maybe now I need to enjoy selling some of it.

Steve

I agree. It could be a curse and a guilt trip for those left to deal with such a collection. Another sad part is the pieces of value, to the user or the collector could be lost in the mass for 5¢ a lb. and gone forever.

Hilditch

Now y'all done gone and made me all pensive. I think about stuff like that quite a bit when walking through antique stores. I see paintings of people and I wonder who they are and why their family decided to let these old portraits go. Did nobody care enough to keep them? Or were the pictures so old the family couldn't even remember who the people in the portraits were. My dad always said, "Son, it only takes one generation to lose knowledge. If your generation doesn't pass on to your children what mine has passed on to you, it is lost forever." My dad was a Southern Baptist preacher and was talking about faith and Christianity in general, but I think about that statement when I see those old portraits. Did one generation fail to tell the next who that was in the picture? Did they forget to tell their children about that person, sharing memories so those children felt a connection to the person in the picture? I feel like that is the case. With no knowledge or connection to the person in the picture, the painting gets thrown on the trash pile.

The same goes for our cast iron or anything else we have. If our kids don't place emotional value on them, they are gone when we pass. As they say, you can't take it with you. If it's something you want to keep in the family, make sure you let folks know what it is, and why it's important. Make a list and put it in your will. Don't leave it up to the family, in their time of grief, to fight over what to do with the stuff.

Sorry for the long post. But what can I say? I'm a sentimentalist.

My family has always kept records about items - sometimes a note scotch taped. Neither of my nieces like a treasured set (2) of two mismatched brass candlesticks which have been in the family for many generations. Came through the Cumberland Gap and were the most valuable of possessions. Makes me sad.
I really suggest making a list of values for your CI so people realize the worth of some items. I would also add resources such as this forum to enable family to find reasonable markets for disposal.

Thanks to all of y'all (aka you guys) i'll keep on cleaning and try the soap and vinegar...thanks again. If i knew how to take a picture and post it i would.

My wife lost a brother (no wife or kids) about about 1 /12 years ago. He was a huge collector of several things (Steins, Old Soda bottles, vintage Glass Ware). It have been a huge chore in trying to sort all of that stuff out, and even harder to sell it for a reasonable price. We still have a mountain of stuff, with no clue as what to do with it.

My suggestion it to start slowly getting rid of some the stuff you don't use. Maybe selling the more valuable items, and possible giving some of the other items as wedding gifts. After all what young couple don't need a good CI skillet or Chicken Fryer?

Now y'all done gone and made me all pensive. I think about stuff like that quite a bit when walking through antique stores. I see paintings of people and I wonder who they are and why their family decided to let these old portraits go. Did nobody care enough to keep them? Or were the pictures so old the family couldn't even remember who the people in the portraits were. My dad always said, "Son, it only takes one generation to lose knowledge. If your generation doesn't pass on to your children what mine has passed on to you, it is lost forever." My dad was a Southern Baptist preacher and was talking about faith and Christianity in general, but I think about that statement when I see those old portraits. Did one generation fail to tell the next who that was in the picture? Did they forget to tell their children about that person, sharing memories so those children felt a connection to the person in the picture? I feel like that is the case. With no knowledge or connection to the person in the picture, the painting gets thrown on the trash pile.

The same goes for our cast iron or anything else we have. If our kids don't place emotional value on them, they are gone when we pass. As they say, you can't take it with you. If it's something you want to keep in the family, make sure you let folks know what it is, and why it's important. Make a list and put it in your will. Don't leave it up to the family, in their time of grief, to fight over what to do with the stuff.

Sorry for the long post. But what can I say? I'm a sentimentalist.

So true. Let's see some pics of your collection

Back