McClaren Pan

T. McLeish

There's a nice old McClaren skillet for sale at our local thrift shop. The only problem is someone took a grinder to the inside and it's ground down to silver. Would it season back to shape ground that hard? It's only $13. A quick response would be great as I'll get it tomorrow if responses are favourable. Thanks folks!

Seems like you're looking for a user. Question is, do you think you could find another that hasn't had the kind of damage you'll have to deal with done to it for close to the same money. Or, if the learning experience is worth more than $13 to you, go for it. Yes, it's true, pans ground that smooth can be a PITA to get a manual seasoning to stick to.

It is cheaper than new lodge,if you want to experiment with it you can smooth it,using sand paper,depends how thin the skillet is and how deep the marks are,you don't have to polish it just try to even the grooves out,

There's a nice old McClaren skillet for sale at our local thrift shop. The only problem is someone took a grinder to the inside and it's ground down to silver. Would it season back to shape ground that hard? It's only $13. A quick response would be great as I'll get it tomorrow if responses are favourable. Thanks folks!

Yes, patience the a key to success. Season like usual, once you think you're good deep fry something just in case LOL!

I did that to my Moms skillet and Dutch Oven before I knew better. If you get it and season it, the color will be brown not black. But if you just keep using it the color will eventually darken to black. After I got it completely broken in and black I gave it to my sister who still uses it. It really depends on how expensive used cast is in your location. Prices are crazy high at times but bargains are still out there where I am.

Back