Cleaning pan in grill?

Steve W

Nuby here with a question. I picked up a 10" pan of unknown heritage. It's been used over an open fire, alot, and has a thick buildup on the bottom and sides. I usually run them through the self clean oven to clean, I don't like the chemical methods. So far I've had success with 5 or 6 pans. But with the summer heat and the likelihood heavy smoke, I'd like to do this one outdoors. My question is would a charcoal grill get hot enough to cook it clean? I went through 20 pages of back threads to see if this has been asked before. I don't want to wait for cooler weather because I need this 10" pan. The family is to big for 8" pans, the biggest size I have now. Still on the hunt for a 12"!

Thanks for any response.

Steve W

No. My Weber can get to about 425° & that's all. A self cleaning oven gets to 900° F +/-. EasyOff is your best bet.

Hilditch

What Hilditch said. If you're concerned about smells, spills or leaks with the Easy-Off method, I always put my 10" and smaller pans (already sprayed & bagged) inside a plastic pail with a lid. My wife has an incredibly acute sense of smell but never has a clue when I have a pan in the bucket. Easy-Off won't corrode trash bags or plastic pails.

While you are looking, go to Walmart and buy a Lodge SK 10 (12") for $20 and cook on. Why irritate yourself?

Hilditch

Hi Steve, those of us who collect vintage iron don't recommend the self cleaning oven method. There is a chance it will warp the pan.

You gave me a smile Steve. My goto pan is an SK 10 and it’s getting older every day. I bought it new and have been using it for 33 years as it cooks much more evenly than a Griswold the same size on a normal stove burner. Good luck on your hunt.

Hilditch

I have used my grill to clean a pan as mine hits 500+ (I have an oven thermometer in it) the pans I did I've had no problems. It does go through the propane tho

Sent from my RCT6272W23 using Tapatalk

Nuby here with a question. I picked up a 10" pan of unknown heritage. It's been used over an open fire, alot, and has a thick buildup on the bottom and sides. I usually run them through the self clean oven to clean, I don't like the chemical methods. So far I've had success with 5 or 6 pans. But with the summer heat and the likelihood heavy smoke, I'd like to do this one outdoors. My question is would a charcoal grill get hot enough to cook it clean? I went through 20 pages of back threads to see if this has been asked before. I don't want to wait for cooler weather because I need this 10" pan. The family is to big for 8" pans, the biggest size I have now. Still on the hunt for a 12"!

Thanks for any response.

Steve W

If you are worrying about "chemical residue" you probably need to do some research on the actual chemicals in "Easy Off".

The primary chemical is lye. If you have ever eaten a bagel, or pretzels, or a tortilla, you have consumed more lye than is ever left on a cast iron skillet after washing off the oven cleaner. If you are especially paranoid about the lye, you can neutralize it by a quick dip in vinegar.

As for the other chemicals, they all degrade into harmless compounds at various temperatures, all of which are well below the 350 degrees you normally season your cast iron at.

If the other chemicals worry you, you should buy some pure lye powder, then dilute it by pouring the powder into water (NEVER pour water into the Lye powder), and set up a lye tank for cleaning cast iron..

Back