Campfire cooking - chicken and dumplings

EricC

The other weekend I took my daughter camping. Though I brought a propane stove as backup, I didn't use it once, didn't even unpack it. Did all my cooking over the campfire.

Being just the two of us, I didn't need the full capacity of my camp DO, so this gave me the opportunity to use my spider skillet for the big Saturday dinner, chicken and dumplings. Reportioned to a smaller yield and some other minor tweaks, I more-or-less followed the recipe here:
http://www.treksw.com/easy-chicken-and-dumplings-dutch-oven-recipes/

Browning the cubed chicken thighs. This spider skillet has only received a few rounds of manual seasoning and let me tell you, it was the total opposite of non-stick. But that was okay...

Softening the vegetables...

Simmering the vegetables and chicken...

The rest of the ingredients added...

And baking...

Continued in next post...

Continued...

Halfway through, before and after stirring...

And then the finished product...

It was very flavorful and delicious. The Kid loved it and she's a picky eater.

One thing I noticed - I brought some leather grill gloves to handle hot iron, but the long handle on that spider skillet actually stayed cool to the touch the entire time. I'm pleased with its performance.

Some stickin’ over an open fire is more better than non-stick on glass, hands down. Good tasting pictorial. Now that’s cookin’!!!

Hilditch

Thanks.

While I'm on the subject, some other cooking pics from the trip...

Roasting hot dogs while heating some water for hot chocolate...

Bacon and eggs for breakfast tacos...

No cast iron in this one of toasting marshmallows for s'mores, but it's still a cool pic...

That's another one you hit out of the park Eric, that looks very good and made me hungry and I just ate. Thanks for the pictures.

Steve,

Back