Patty melt time...

EricC

Beef burgers with fresh thyme and chives mixed in, I love how cast iron sears...

With some rye bread slices buttered on one side and with whole-grain mustard spread on the other, you assemble the burgers with bread, slice of cheddar, patty, slice of cheddar, bread. Mustard side in, butter side out.

Then after wiping the pan clean, put the burger under a bacon press over medium heat for a few minutes on each side; a smaller pan can be used if you lack a press. This CI press may look fancy but it's nothing special, a modern piece I picked up a few years ago...

Served with roasted sweet potato fries given a little cayenne heat and topped with fresh chives...

It's much tastier than it looks, I promise...

I can taste it. Tastes good. Eric, we’ve got to figure out how to keep the splatters in the skillet when searing beef patties, and still flip them over. I swear a few nights ago I had a 4’ diameter circle! Next time I’m trying having the skillet on a 4° angle to see if the runoff will help. Yes folks, I have lids and stackable splatter screens.

Hilditch

That's some good eatin' right there!

I have a splatter screen I bought at the Lodge factory store, but I never use it.

I have a splatter screen, too, but I stopped using it a long time ago. Frankly, it takes more effort to clean the splatter screen than to wipe down the stove.

And when you take it off after using it, you need real estate to place it, which will likely need cleaning from drips off the screen. Meh.

Well I put the grate up on blocks creating a 4° angle. Last week I had a grill cook confirm he tilted his grill so the grease would just run off. Bingo! No lid and no splatter screen.

I’ll SWAG and say the 80/20 beef patty splatter was only 1/4 of flat pan splatter. The onions did more as they slipped down into the pooled grease. Still had splatter but not a 3’ circle of heavy grease. Three degrees will probably work.

Yesterday I put the griddle on an angle and it helped make less splatter with bacon.

Hilditch

That's a neat trick, I'll have to try it. My grates are a little more challenging, as they are individual per burner and circular.

It'd be nice if there was a similar trick for pan frying; I do that fairly frequently, have fried pork chops and chicken breasts (both coated in a little Southern seasoned flour) on the menu for this week, though not for me. They probably put out more splatter than sautéing, I even had to relocate my knife block because it kept getting hit...

Two ideas to play with. First use DO's as skillets. They catch a lot! Second, once the meat warms turn down the heat to a nice non-splattering fry, sort of like French fries or meat in a deep fryer.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 AM ----------

Eric, a 1" x 5" x 1/8" piece of leather may work on one of your burners to tilt it. Hard stuff.

Hilditch

That's a neat trick, I'll have to try it. My grates are a little more challenging, as they are individual per burner and circular.

It'd be nice if there was a similar trick for pan frying; I do that fairly frequently, have fried pork chops and chicken breasts (both coated in a little Southern seasoned flour) on the menu for this week, though not for me. They probably put out more splatter than sautéing, I even had to relocate my knife block because it kept getting hit...

stick the tine end of a fork under it, or 2 if needed. Thats how i do it on my single round burner

Back