Review of Lodge Classic 12 in skillet

EdP

I came across this review of a Lodge 12" skillet. >
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1603-cast-iron-skillets

According to the details, the article notes a 1000 F oven safe temperature. Nice to know. My electric oven's highest temperature on dial for baking is 550 F. Does any one know if the older cast iron we collect have a different temperature rating? And, is the chemical makeup of the newly manufactured iron different from the older iron?

Yes and yes. The recipe for cast iron is as varied as the ones for chili con carne. Even over time for the same company. More of this, less of that, and lets try a little …… Now add in the design and historical use/abuse factors and it is better to stay on the safe side.

Hilditch

Ok, thanks Hilditch. I kinda thought that there would be differences in chemical makeup, but just wondered if the differences would be small enough to ignore for everyday use at high temps for a few recipes I like. The reason I ask is that I have a few recipes that call for 500 F for a lard biscuit recipe I love and a cast iron pizza recipe that calls for high temperatures like 500-550 F which I love the recipe for that too. Just trying to find the limitations if possible to avoid damage to my old iron. If I must, I will buy a piece or two of new Lodge for high temperature recipes.

I'd venture to say that most of the old pieces that could not handle 600° are already history or warped. I vote for the attitude that if it can't handle what I want it to do, I didn't want it anyway. Oven temps of 550° should not hurt any piece worth keeping. The bottom gets that hot on low when searing a steak.

Hilditch

Back