Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Default Unmarked Dutch Oven ID Help

I bought this DO today for a whopping $10. This was one is little odd to me because it doesn't have any feet but has a lipped lid for holding coals. It doesn't have any identifying markings at all.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmc5hpxD
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Unmarked Dutch Oven ID Help

The handle on they lid reminds me of Lodge. Somethings please let me know if that is incorrect.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:11 PM

I can't say anything about the lid, but the bottom where the bail connects and the indented helper tab are just about identical to my Wagner "1891" dutch oven from the 90's, so I'd go out and say that it's an unmarked later Wagner, but it still should have country of Origin stamped on because I seriously doubt it was pre-1960s. It's probably a mismatched set, but who cares as long as the lid is tight. You can still use it over coals by simply buying a trivet or using the Lodge "lid rest" to elevate it above the coals.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:24 PM

Country of origin never had to be stamped/molded in to the CI. A paper label would have sufficed. Sorry, no help on the DO, but I think you got a great deal for 10 bucks!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 AM

Thanks Kevin, I wasn't aware of the paper label exception. Dang right it's a great deal for $10. It's kind of a "best of both worlds" deals where you can use it either indoors or out fairly easily. I use my Camp DOs in the oven all the time, but I have to use a sheet underneath which can be sort of cumbersome. It's much easier to use the OP's DO outside than using a CDO inside.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I couldn't pass up cast iron for $10. I had to buy it. I cleaned it up and seasoned it. Not much info on this Dutch Oven, so I'm going to find out if it can cook baby back ribs. I started the coals and prepped the ribs.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmc8L8h8
Old 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Every get any info on this? I got two identical out of a sale and no one on an identification site knows either.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:02 AM

I have 2 that look very similar. One I bought out of the "Cheaper Than Dirt" catalog 20 years ago. The other came from a large lot of miscellaneous iron i bought for next to nothing. Most likely imported on all 3 If I had to guess. Thats a pretty common style of camp oven. Super good deal for $10 though!!

How did the ribs turn out though?