New guy here... need some help please

Makes little sense that a heavy oval roasting pan designed primarily for oven cooking would be designated according to an atypical usage. Wood-burning range-top real estate was precious enough that eccentric kettles were devised to maximize the number of pieces that would fit simultaneously. A big roaster inefficiently overhanging a stove eye rather than being tucked in an oven seems foolish. Also difficult to fathom would be why, if it is indeed of European manufacture, would a maker buck convention, which for oval pieces marked in cm means the top opening long dimension not including handles.

Again, nothing to indicate the marked size number has anything to do with a stove eye.

The size 9 does fit the width dimensions of the Griswold roasting pan as well as their skillets, not the length or opening and there is a high correlation to eye sizes. I think we are dealing with 100 YO holloware sizing which was based on eye sizes determined by the stove makers, not contemporary sizing. Based on using my CI stove, I can go back there.

Doug, you are welcome to disregard the evidence presented here as coincidences or whatever for the 20 as well as the 9. This is my last post for this thread but I suspect you need one more.

Hilditch

closer pics of the lids markings for everyone

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

This is a close up of the bottom marking

Thanks for the addition pictures but I still can't tell what the letters are. The gate mark in the lid reminds me of some Vollrath pieces I have seen
Here is one with the gate mark.
http://castironguys.com/product/vol...ameled-maslin-kettle-c-1890-1910-gate-marked/
This Vollrath pan says 24 and I had one that said 45 so whatever that means.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-VOL...749184?hash=item2116576d80:g:vHAAAOSw9IpXzb6n

The thing I find interesting is that the lid is gate marked but the pan is not. I know enameled iron became "cool" in the 1920's but it was being made a long time before that. Vollrath was making enameled cast iron in the US as early as the 1870's.
I hope you find out more about it.

Hello again

found a really cute small cast iron skillet or pan today... the only markings i can make out on the bottom are a small "X" near the edge and a large "3" above it on the opposite edge. any ideas?

also got another really nice descoware orange enamel pot with lid but the wood handle has come loose and no longer stays in

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

First the pan... upon closer inspection with the flash i now see "5x"

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

large "3"

Back