A gift of cast iron

GaryV

I'd like to collect a small set of skillets to give to a friend. I'm thinking skillet #s 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8; maybe a dutch oven or two. These would be for cooking. Collectability would be a minor issue, though interesting marks might be a plus, as would age.

I'm leaning toward 1 or 3 notch Lodge (even though they are unmarked). My mother has 30s-50s era Wagner and Griswold but her favorite skillet is a 1-notch Lodge.

Are there qualitative difference between 1 and 3 notch Lodges? Any other brand that might be better for cooking in the same general price range and in ease of acquiring?

My family has always used enameled steel lids, is there a source for those?

Thanks,

gary

3 notch Lodges made after the switch to automation will be a thicker casting and thus heavier. If weight is a concern, the older ones will be a bit lighter.

BSR is hard to beat for users, especially if you're in the south since they're so plentiful and cheap. Plus they're built like tanks, so they are rarely warped.

Gary welcome to the forums,if you thinking put together a set of skillets with interesting marks,just remember any thing old and marked is going to be collectable,and more expensive than unmarked,same quality,if you looking for griswold,I've seen yesterday agriswold#4 for 1k on e bay,a Wagner #4 for $400 And a lodge # 4 for $ 375, if is me a skip the #4. I have Bsr,lodge,and Wagner unmarked all of this works perfect you can find these 3 brands more easily at flea market, #3,5,7,8,10 on lodge or Bsr #3,6,8,10,12 on Wagner are the most common sizes and cheap. Good luck hunting

I agree with the others. #4 in anything will be hard to find at a gifting price. They are out there but you will pay for it. I think 3,6,8 are the most common sizes. 5,7 and 9 are also some what common. Down here the BSR and 3 notch Lodge are everywhere. They are both great users. Wagner Ware Sidney-o- pans are also great pans but since they are marked, sellers want more for them.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to pass on a #4.

Garage/yard sales in California (at least my area) haven't been worth going to for 25 years; all they sell at local "flea markets" is new Chinese junk. So, anything I buy will have to be through ebay.

I like a smoke ring so that narrows things down. I also like thinner castings. The BSR Red Mountain series looks good but they seem to go for a bit more than Lodge. I've got until late September so I can take it slow.

For those of you who cook with your cast iron what are your most used sizes? Are there sizes that you use/need multiples of? I personally, only have a #5 and a #8, but they fill my needs.

gary

I'm the home cook using a gas stove. There are two of us but 1/2 the time I cook for four and never had a need for 2 skillets the same size. For even heating my best skillet is a BSR #7 Red but my go to is a Lodge SK 10 as the #7 can feel a bit cramped to me with a recipe for four. I also often use a BSR #7 chicken fryer for splatter searing. BSR sizes run large.

If your friend cooks for 2 or 4 I recommend the above plus a #5 skillet and a #8 Dutch oven. Make sure the DO holds at least 4 1/2 qts. as many #8's only hold 4 and many recipes will take you to the brim in a 4 with no room to stir. I have a BSR Century #8-B (7) DO that only holds 4 qts. and needs a new home.

Note: Anything larger than the SK 10 or a BSR #9 will experience cooler edges on a stove burner. I also found significant center hot spots in Griswold and Wagner #8 and larger skillets like with a steel hunting skillet.

Have fun,
Hilditch

Last edited:
For those of you who cook with your cast iron what are your most used sizes? Are there sizes that you use/need multiples of? I personally, only have a #5 and a #8, but they fill my needs.

My go to skillet is a Wapak #10. I bought it in my early days of starting to collect. I was looking for a 10 because I felt like my 8 was a little cramped sometimes, especially with full slices of bacon. Funny thing was I thought I had a Wagner on my hands because the bottom was so crusty, all I could see was "Wa" and a bunch of crud. But, it cleaned up well and has a great cooking surface, and I like the size the best.

I agree that there are hot and cool spots, but I actually like that and tend to use it to my advantage...similar to grilling.

For the times I've had lots of food going, I've had a 6, 8, and 10 on the stove at the same time...I don't find the need for duplicates necessarily. Usually whatever you're cooking will have some things that need more space, and some that need less and you figure it out.

A note on hot spots: I pre-heat my #8s and larger in the oven before putting them on a burner. Works out that half the time I'm returning whatever it is to the oven to finish, so the oven heat isn't really wasted.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to pass on a #4.

Garage/yard sales in California (at least my area) haven't been worth going to for 25 years; all they sell at local "flea markets" is new Chinese junk. So, anything I buy will have to be through ebay.

I like a smoke ring so that narrows things down. I also like thinner castings. The BSR Red Mountain series looks good but they seem to go for a bit more than Lodge. I've got until late September so I can take it slow.

gary

I am in Southern California.

You need to check out the local antique malls. I was at one on Sunday and came across a set of Griswold Skillets, 3, 5, 7, & 9, a mix of Large and Small logo for $75.00. I passed as I already have my 3 - 10 set.

I also came across a nice #11 Chrome Large Logo Griswold. It didn't have a price (tag was missing), and they couldn't get ahold of the seller. I left my name an number for a call back when they find out how much the seller wants.

I also came across a nice #11 Chrome Large Logo Griswold. It didn't have a price (tag was missing), and they couldn't get ahold of the seller. I left my name an number for a call back when they find out how much the seller wants.

If there's no tag, that means it's free :icon_thumbsup:

If there's no tag, that means it's free :icon_thumbsup:

Got the callback yesterday afternoon.

Seller wants $50.00.

Wife is picking it up this afternoon.

Chrome looks to be really good. No noticeable worn off spots, just some cooked on oil. Won't know for sure until it is cleaned.

I haven't been to an antiques mall in many years. The ones here in Modesto don't compare to what you have in SoCal, much less east of the Rockies. We just don't have the population.

My mother does make the rounds of thrift shops and she found a #6 Griswold a few weeks back.

My "giftee" usually only cooks for two people and she has a bunch of Chinese skillets if she needs more. I'd just like for her to have something American-made, from a period when we still made "real" things of quality. Something that could be passed on to her grandkids.

gary

I haven't been to an antiques mall in many years. The ones here in Modesto don't compare to what you have in SoCal, much less east of the Rockies. We just don't have the population.

My mother does make the rounds of thrift shops and she found a #6 Griswold a few weeks back.

My "giftee" usually only cooks for two people and she has a bunch of Chinese skillets if she needs more. I'd just like for her to have something American-made, from a period when we still made "real" things of quality. Something that could be passed on to her grandkids.

gary

Found a #6 Griswold Large Block Letter Logo on Saturday. While I have all the sizes, from 3 to 11 now, I don't have a complete set of any particular style. I am working on LBL for the moment.

Back