What's for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

JenniferM

Would it be okay or appropriate to have a thread to post our CI meals in and the recipes to make them? I don't want to appear like a thread starting ninja if I share recipes. :redface:

If that is okay, then I share with you tonight's delicious meal of homemade fajitas. :glutton:

20150224_185628.jpg

Jennifer, your food pics are pure torture. You may become our resident chef... :tasty:

Thank you. I really love cooking, I just hated doing it in the "other" stuff. :-D

Ain't nothing like nachos made in a pre-heated cast iron. This late Wagner #10 was the perfect size for me and my baby.
Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 6.18.10 PM by Refinders, on Flickr

That looks so yummy! I am so gonna do this soon. What a fantastic idea for game/race day; thx for sharing!

Perhaps you would entertain the possibility of taking requests.

Such as peanut butter and jelly monkey bread for example...

Jennifer your fajitas look delicious. Since you are from Tucson I have to ask, did you put diced green chiles in your cornbread? That is the way I like it. Your griddle is cool!

Jennifer your fajitas look delicious. Since you are from Tucson I have to ask, did you put diced green chiles in your cornbread? That is the way I like it. Your griddle is cool!

I'm actually 'from' PA, but served in the Air Force, so I have lived all over. Tucson is tied with NC (where I am now) for my favorite places to have lived. Thx for the comment about the griddle. I really like it, and it's become a primary tool in my kitchen.

I've only ever made two pans of cornbread (the first being the one that was in the 'bad' pan). I did not put chiles in it when I made either, but I have heard of folks doing that; haven't tasted it myself. I've come across a few variations for cornbread that I want to try, this being one. Do you have a recipe for it to share that I may sample? :tasty:

I just drain a can of diced green chili's and dump them into my cornbread mix. I will warn you though do not buy generic diced green chili's. Spend a few more cents for the good ones. I ruined a whole pot of Posole once with the cheapo chili's. They are kind of sweet and meld nicely with the flavor of cornbread.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

If you have never been to copykat.com you should check it out. If you have ever been to a restaurant and really enjoyed a dish and wished you knew how to cook it, just go there and type in the restaurant and name of dish. I found this site a few years back when I wanted to know how to make Olive Garden's Pasta Fagioli. It's delicious and now one of my wintertime regulars.

I'm not much of a cook, but I have successfully baked these in corn stick pans:

Grandma’s Corn Pones
Makes 7 corn bread sticks

Ingredients:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400F.
Generously grease corn pone pan with shortening and place in oven while it preheats.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients. In a small mixing bowl, combine milk, egg, and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Pour all batter evenly into hot pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 400F.
Serve warm with butter and honey.

I add a little cinnamon and a little more sugar to mine...

Maybe you can try this and let us know what you think.

I just drain a can of diced green chili's and dump them into my cornbread mix. I will warn you though do not buy generic diced green chili's. Spend a few more cents for the good ones. I ruined a whole pot of Posole once with the cheapo chili's. They are kind of sweet and meld nicely with the flavor of cornbread.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

If you have never been to copykat.com you should check it out. If you have ever been to a restaurant and really enjoyed a dish and wished you knew how to cook it, just go there and type in the restaurant and name of dish. I found this site a few years back when I wanted to know how to make Olive Garden's Pasta Fagioli. It's delicious and now one of my wintertime regulars.

Thanks Bonnie. Just last night, I made a "copy cat" recipe for Chevy's Corn tomalito. It's a side dish with many of their entrees that I had over 10 years ago, and I never forgot about it. But I didn't make it in CI because it calls for a water bath, and I wasn't sure how that would go down, so I went with a glass dish for it. I'll be sure to check that site; thanks!

Would it be okay or appropriate to have a thread to post our CI meals in and the recipes to make them? I don't want to appear like a thread starting ninja if I share recipes. :redface:
I think it would be more appropriate to have individual threads for each recipe than one long rambling thread peppered with comments and multiple recipes. That would be too much like facebook, where substance quickly gets lost in the mire. I would request that, if viewing a recipe makes you think of one of your favorites that you wish to share, you start your own thread with it, and a recipes archive can be built from there.

I would think that the recipe name in the title might make it easier to search. Not so much a problem now, with only two pages of thread titles, but years from now, it'll come in handy.

An individual thread approach probably does make sense. :icon_thumbsup:

As for this recipe, I will definitely give it a whirl! Thank you for sharing. I am trying various corn bread recipes until I find one that really pleases my palate. Gonna need a major diet plan here soon from all the sampling! :glutton:
I'm not much of a cook, but I have successfully baked these in corn stick pans:

Grandma’s Corn Pones
Makes 7 corn bread sticks

Ingredients:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400F.
Generously grease corn pone pan with shortening and place in oven while it preheats.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients. In a small mixing bowl, combine milk, egg, and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Pour all batter evenly into hot pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 400F.
Serve warm with butter and honey.

I add a little cinnamon and a little more sugar to mine...

Maybe you can try this and let us know what you think.

Jennifer, the best way to burn off those calories is walking from one store to the next looking for cast iron, then you get that upper body workout scrubbing and scrubbing some more. :-D

JB, when you say pone pan, are you talking about the one that looks like ears of corn or the one with triangular wedges? Or maybe the one some call a "stick" pan?

Yes Ken, some people use the word "pone" to describe various corn bread items. In this case, the recipe refers to "corn sticks" as "corn pones."

The corn stick pans were obviously quite popular in the Southeast. I have several of them, mostly old BSRs.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

And yes, ears of corn...

Back