Nickel Plated Dutch Oven ID?

BenjaminO

I picked up 3 pieces at my flea market that the seller insisted were matching set, and trying to tell them otherwise was fruitless. Oh well, I'm the fool who bought them. I can't help but pick things up that I've never seen before. First up is this Dutch oven that I suspected was nickel plated. Cleaning revealed that the whole thing is in really good condition. I know I've seen the style of the "No. 8" marking somewhere on here... Does anyone recognize it? There is also the faintest ghost marking of some lettering across the middle of the bottom, can't make it out though.
DSCF8949 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8950 by Refinders, on Flickr
The next piece in the "set" was this chicken fryer, I guessed it was a Wagner, but I've been unable to find anything like it online. Thick handle with a large rib, rectangular box around where the handle attaches to the pot.
DSCF8953 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8954 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8955 by Refinders, on Flickr
The third piece that in the seller's mind matched these two was the, admittedly, snug fitting Lodge arc logo low dome Dutch oven lid in excellent condition. The lid I knew would at least make the set worthwhile in the others turned out to be worthless.

I'm no expert on unmarked iron, but that DO definitely reminds me of a couple unmarked Wagners I have. Someone with a better eye can tell me if I'm off base or not.

They both look like Vollrath to me.

Good eye Bonnie! The chicken fryer seems to be consistent with a late, unmarked Vollrath skillets in terms of handle design, numbering, and texture of casting. I cannot find any examples without the heat ring and pour spouts that are also marked, but maybe they removed both when going automated.

I can find no examples of Vollrath dutch ovens with divided handles though, all of them seem to have the diagonally attached bail. And there "No." font and style are a bit different.
Thanks for the tip though, I'm sure someone will recognize it.

The DO design isn't consistent with Vollrath. I agree the handle is very Vollrath-like, but I wonder if that rectangular area indicates the pattern was cobbled together from parts of other pans. As CFs go, it appears quite deep. Plus, the bottom doesn't look in any way Vollrath, nor does the rough casting.

Back