Wagner Straight/Straight #7 Skillet

JBPoole

Picked up a Wagner Straight/Straight #7 skillet (1910-1915) today for $10. Can someone please give me the value?

Thanks!

I believe I see some silver colored metal peeking out from under the crud. I have never seen a nickel plated skillet in person, but it looks somewhat shiny like chrome. Is that possible? Has does nickel affect the value? It is in the lye bath right now...

The RB says $30, but as always that is in excellent condition. I have a "wagner" (1891-1910) #10 that appears to have been plated. This is just my opinion, but I have shied away from some pans I otherwise would've purchased because of spotty plating. Unless you can find one in perfect/near perfect condition, I feel it takes away from the value. I'd buy 'em all day long at $10 though.

Last edited:
I set up my first e-tank today. Is it safe to use it on plated cast iron?

BTW, got the exact charger I wanted at the same sale as the skillet. It was covered in dust. Cost me a whole dollar!

I've read that you don't want to put plated pieces into an e-tank, but I think its because it can remove the plating. I'd wait and see how it looks coming out of the lye bath. It may be a great looking piece still. I am actually planning on e-tanking a Wapak #9 that has just about 10% of its chrome left, hoping that it may remove it.

I've been surprised before. I hope it works, as it is free from some of the usual casting "defects", on the underside, that you see in a lot of Wapaks. I will keep you updated if it works.

The consensus on electro and plated pieces seems to be that intact plating is not affected, but that already compromised, separating areas may be. If there is a concern of affecting it, lye is safe on plating, so you could de-crud with it, and then follow upon any rust with vinegar/water and steel wool.

I once re-habbed a Griswold DuChro chicken fryer as a favor to a flea market vendor. The outside had some pinpoint rust spots; the inside was rusted to the point of deep pitting. With little to lose, I put it thru electro with the inside facing the anode. It de-rusted fine, and the plating did not seem to suffer any more than it already had.

My nickel plated Wagner has maybe 10% of the plating intact. Otherwise, it's in really good shape. I very much like the smooth finish. It it's day, I guess it was top of the line. It is one of my favorite pieces so far.

How do I go about seasoning it? Any different from regular cast iron?

Back