Finally having a good result!

DonnaM

I finished seasoning a pan a short time ago, but first time I used it (bacon), the food stuck pretty badly. I though, crap! and put it away awhile. Then I pulled it out and tried again--this time fried potatoes. Stuck again! Put it away again! Tonight I tried again, this time with salmon croquettes. Success! Hopefully I'm finally building on my initial seasoning and will continue to have the non-stick experience!

Glad it's getting better for you.

In case you haven't run across this tip before, a way to prevent, or at least reduce, bacon sticking is to put it in the pan while the pan is still cold, i.e. heat up the pan with the bacon in it already.

If doing multiple batches, all the grease rendered from the first batch should prevent subsequent batches from sticking even though they're added to a hot pan.

Yes, I have always put bacon in a cold pan (even when the pan wasn't CI). I'm wondering if my bacon had water in it, as discussed on a previous thread. Next time I'll check the ingredients on the package to see if it lists water. We don't have any pig farms around here, but my favorite grocery store is mostly organic, and that would probably be the best place to buy bacon that hasn't been "enhanced" (read that as "made plumper so it sells for more $.")

Thanks for your input, Eric.

Donna, I'm not sure if water has anything to do with it, but I did find some bacon at Sprouts with no water. (it does have sugar listed ... not sure if that is a bad thing. Seems to me you need the sugar to balance out the salt).

Anyway, I sometimes have a little bit of sticking. If I do, it is just a tiny spot at one end of the strip of bacon and it releases easily as I lift the bacon to flip it over.

I also start my bacon in a cold pan. I start the temp low (a "3" on my dial, which goes from 1-10) and when the fat starts coming out of the bacon, I slide the strips around a little to spread the fat love. Then I turn the heat up to about 4 1/2, or maybe just under 5. Not sure if I'm doing it right, whether I should go higher in temperature ... but the bacon is edible, so I've stuck with this method.

Donna, I forgot to mention, I cut my bacon strips in half. I use either a # or #8 to cook bacon and cutting them in half allows them to fit in the skillet without the ends running up the sides.

BTW - I had more sticking with my bacon today than usual. Could be the skillet. I rotate between four or five different ones. Today I realized I hadn't used my single notch Lodge (with raised #8) in awhile. I also used a type of bacon I haven't used before. The last couple of times I've bought bacon, I bought the "no water" kind at Sprouts. Friday, I went to a butcher shop and bought their "naturally cured" kind and also one that was "applewood smoked". Today I was frying the applewood version. I think it must have water in it because the strips are plumper.

We cured our own bacon at the BBQ restaurant, only for special events at the brewery. Home cure is good way to go if you want clean bacon. Not really difficult, just have to plan ahead, it is a 7 day process. I don't use nitrates, or pink salt, just a good sea salt. Molasses is my sweetener.
2-3 lb trimmed pork belly
3 T sea salt (if you choose to use pink salt just add 1/2 t to the sea salt)
1/4 C molasses
1/8 C strong black coffee
2 sliced garlic cloves
1 med size yellow onion sliced thin
1 T fresh ground pepper
Mix together and pour into zip lock bag, insert pork belly

Work the air out and seal zip lock bag, work the cure around to coat the belly
Refrigerate for 7 days, turn every day or 2
Remove and rinse pork belly
Smoke to an internal temp of 160 at 250F
Ready to slice and cook

When I cook bacon, whether its in a newly restored pan or a well seasoned one, I heat the pan, then "prime the pump" with about a teaspoon of bacon grease.

The bacon never sticks. Hope this helps.

I believe sugar is the culprit for why your bacon is sticking. I think water is only bad as it will lift the seasoning off your skillet if boiled for an extended period of time. I'm starting to notice some spots on my #8 griswold skillet lid where the steam has removed some of the seasoning....not sure what to do about that but i will address that in another thread.

As mentioned in a previous thread I called a few small butcher shops and only found 1 (only called 3 though) that had bacon with no sugar and no water added. Cooking sugarless and waterless bacon in CI is an experience! My pans have never been happier and the bacon was outstanding! I'd call a few local butcher shops and see what you can find. You won't be disappointed!

You know, it makes perfect sense about sugar! Sugar is really bad about sticking. I'm going to be more diligent about reading the ingredient labels.

Back