lye bath question

JeanC

How do you know its time to dump it? Mine is two years old now. I've added lye a few times now.

I hadn't cleaned a thing for a year. A friend asked me to clean a really bad chicken pan with lid. Worse one I've seen yet. Rusty pitted mess. Anyway...

It was a little like Christmas pulling stuff out these past two days. It was all pretty rusty.

I don't remember what my pieces looked like before I put them in but....I'm pretty sure they weren't as rusty as they came out.

Is this a sign I need to dump her? I've got some nice pieces I want to put in there and am a little afraid to. Dumping her makes my skin crawl. Hahahahaha....as you know...its a well used tub and pretty oily.

Sigh...I think I answered my own question. Shoot....tell me I'm wrong and they last for years and years and years...lol

OK..I need more coffee.

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

So sorry..

Hello!! And thank you! Love this site. So much great information and people.

Lye has no effect on rust, only on crud. Left submerged in a lye solution of proper strength, pieces should not rust, and one would assume a rusty pan should not become more rusty. While a lye tank can be maintained for quite a long time just adding more water, and lye when it seems to have weakened, there comes a time when starting over fresh is probably necessary.

Back