Aebleskivers

JeffreyL

I see lots of mentions about these pans where people are asking about them or purchasing them, but never much of people actually using them. I have been playing around with my Griswold 962 Erie, PA and I pretty much have it figured out, but im wondering if anyone has experience with filling them? I tried adding filling half way through the cooking process, but the contents usually falls to the bottom instead of staying in the center of the aebleskiver. The last ones we ended up using a condiment bottle with jelly and injecting them. Anyone know how to fill them during the cooking process and keep the contents close to the center?? Heres some pics of the last batch I made for my wife to take to work to share with her co-workers, some filled with chocolate chips, apple sauce, and peach-rhubarb jelly.
https://imgur.com/a/Uy2v6

I use mine a few times a year. Small spoon of filling when they are a bit cooked on the bottom and then small amount of batter to cover. Really is hit or miss. I have taken to not filling them at times and just placing filling on the side as I become tired of cleaning stuck on filling.

i feared the stuck on filling, but even the jelly, chocolate chips, and applesauce that leaked out didnt stick to my pan, must be i have good seasoning on it. i will try putting it right on top and then a little more dough on top and see what happens, if not i will just continue filling them with a condiment bottle like i did before.

are they technically supposed to be hollow inside or is the inside supposed to be textured with cooked batter more like a solid donut?

We dont fill ours. I was worried about the filling clean up as well. Really the only time I use our aebleskiver pan is on Christmas morning. The kids like them.

Greg-
I dont know if i've just been lucky, and i was really afraid to use this pan as ive heard horror stories, but ive never had an issue yet with cleanup

I make a ridiculous number of them. The trick is to have your filling ready to go and that your pan is not only well seasoned, but also buttered for each set of balls.

Jelly fillings i make ahead with a teeny disher scoop and freeze tiny balls of jelly to drop in. For chocolate, i use the larger chunk pieces.

After filling your cups about 3/4 full, drop in your filling and top with more batter and continue cooking. On the first partial turn, the filling, encapsulated in batter, moves with the batter.

On the third and final turn it is sealed in. Never had a leak. Wipes clean.

Thanks for the tips CarylB, I never thought of freezing the jelly, i will be making some this weekend for a family get together, ill give that a try!

And here I thought I'd never have a use or need to add one of these pans to my collection.
You folks have effectively changed my mind.
Now I'm hungry for dessert!

Here ya go BillC, this should help ya decide to get a pan!

https://imgur.com/a/Uy2v6

I haven't been chatty enough on the boards to send a PM yet.

JeffreyL said:
Any chance you would share your aebleskiver recipe?
It's actually on my blog. So sorry I didn't see your PM sooner. I didn't get a notification:roll:

My recipes are on my blog along with follow along photos :D

http://dunrovinstation.blogspot.com/2017/11/bleskiver-bite-size-pieces-of-danish.html

I make a ridiculous number of them. The trick is to have your filling ready to go and that your pan is not only well seasoned, but also buttered for each set of balls.

Jelly fillings i make ahead with a teeny disher scoop and freeze tiny balls of jelly to drop in. For chocolate, i use the larger chunk pieces.

After filling your cups about 3/4 full, drop in your filling and top with more batter and continue cooking. On the first partial turn, the filling, encapsulated in batter, moves with the batter.

On the third and final turn it is sealed in. Never had a leak. Wipes clean.

How long do you cook them on each side? I've not had any luck so far with the two batches that I have made. I notice that you turn them 90 degrees at a time. I read to turn them 180 degrees. They must be wrong because they were never cooked thoroughly. I will try your recipe hopefully this weekend.

Everyone, FYI, use chopsticks if you have them. They work wonderfully in turning the aebleskivers.

I don't really time them. If they are too gooey to slide up the side on the 90 degree turn, they aren't ready.

YOU MUST butter between each ball. I love my silicone brush. I dip it in melted butter and shove it in the well and push and swirl. The bristles go up the sides and don't miss a spot.

I heat the pan up on medium (gas stove) and cook about there too. If they are cooking or burning too quickly before you can get to all of them to turn, the heat is far too high. The 90 degree turn allows for more even cooking and a nice hollow ball. Since CI carries heat so long, pull the overheated pan off the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before you return it to a lower temperature, or you'll ruin a few more rounds of balls before you cook your pan down.

I use a metal, flat, skewer to turn mine. It leaves a minute hole and grips a bit better than a chopstick, for me anyway.

Back