Let's Talk LARD

WallyF

After finding this site, I decided to strip and reseason a few pieces (all of them are "young") following the process Doug details in the Cast Iron Restoration section. What a great resource. Thanks.

After reading (and re-reading) about seasoning fats and oils, I keep asking myself why not use Lard, since it (or bacon grease) was traditionally used with these tools? True, it is not commonly found in kitchens today. Even so, it was very easy for me to find it at a local grocery.

I do not intend to use Lard for cooking because it is not considered to be the healthiest of cooking fats. However, if I understand correctly, that should not matter for seasoning and reseasonsing.

Since then, I have used lard for the initial seasoning of several pieces. I like the result.

Anyone have experience using lard? Any scientific or other info that is pro or con the use of lard for seasoning?

Wally, I've used lard before, too. I don't use it every time. My daughter (who lives California) is a vegetarian, so I figure she would rather eat out of a skillet seasoned with vegetable oil. Ha!

Have not tried lard before, Crisco is my go to fat for seasoning. I used my homemade Crisbee for a while. Does it impart better color or require fewer rounds of seasoning?

Article from 2014 in Huffpost...10 reasons you should be cooking with lard.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/28/cooking-with-lard-baking_n_5212804.html
I may have to reconsider using lard to cook with and not just for seasoning. Thanks, Sean.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

M,

Thank you for responding to my post. Unfortunately, I do not have any factual basis to say lard imparts a better color or requires fewer rounds. I doubt it does either. However, I'll defer to the senior members to weigh in on this one. I decided to use lard because of its traditional use with CI.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

I have used lard with great results. My usual is bacon grease tho.
Sean, do you strain or otherwise remove the bits and pieces from the bacon grease before you add it to the CI for seasoning?

I personally dont strain my grease. I keep a jar just for the grease in the fridge, but I make sure its at room temperature before pouring the warm grease in.

I use lard on all of my seasoning. My lady makes a super pie crust using lard. Lard is great on large projects seasoned over a open fire.Use a cotton cloth to reapply to a hot large pot, and a heavy glove. These modern paint brushes melt into the seasoning.

It's been a LONG time since I used lard for seasoning, but if my memory still serves me well, I baked my lard-layered DO at around 350f for an hour for each round, 2 or may be 3 rounds in all. Does 350f for lard sound right to you folks with recent experience? I'm preparing to process a 14.5in skillet, and want to get it black.

I suggest you use the information provided on this site at Cast Iron Seasoning, About Cast Iron, Initial Seasoning.

Good luck. That's a big skillet.

Back