Nickle Plated Wagner

WArvin

I have a Wagner #7 nickle plated skillet with Wagner logo centered, the nickle plating is worn pretty bad giving it a kinda dull gold looking color. I would like to take it back to the bare cast iron and re season it to use it is very nice sits flat very smooth. Any advice on the best way to do this? I usually use self cleaning on oven to do the initial clean on the cast iron but I have read that is not good for nickle plated skillets. I just want to take the skillet to iron. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

I wouldn't do the 'SCO' on any really old pans... in my humble opinion there's just too much of a risk of damage. Also the jury seems to be out on the use of electrolysis on plated pans... it might be ok, it might take off some of the plating... really depends on the condition of the plating. I think the safest bet is just plain old lye soak or easy off... neither will harm the plating and both will clean off the crud and get you down to bare iron/plating.

Thanks I think I will try the easy off take it down to metal and see what I get. I really appreciate your feedback! thanks and I will let you know what comes of it.

Back