Fish Chowder

DonnaM

Tonight I made a fish chowder with salmon (wild, not farmed--ew!) and small shrimp. I don't have a DO seasoned and ready to go, so I used SS. But I sautéed my onions, peppers, and bacon in my SBL #8 (the where-it-all-began pan); then I emptied that out and made my roux in it. (That pan cleaned up like a champ.)

Other ingredients were potatoes, grated celery root and carrots, broth, and a ton of thyme, but we won't talk about them since they were in the SS pot. :chuckle: There were probably some other things in there too...that's how I cook. (We had seconds.)

Donna,
I'm from Texas and no one I know has a fish chowder recipe. Gumbo, yes. Chowder, no. Do you have one you would share?

I have two teenage boys that will (generally) eat my experiments. I promise I'll give it a shot if you share your wisdom.

Thanks
Jack

Donna,
I'm from Texas and no one I know has a fish chowder recipe. Gumbo, yes. Chowder, no. Do you have one you would share?

I have two teenage boys that will (generally) eat my experiments. I promise I'll give it a shot if you share your wisdom.

Thanks
Jack

Jack, I have to admit I'm not much of a recipe person. I just looked it up on the internet for some ideas and went from there. If I happened to have an ingredient, I used it, but I put stuff in that wasn't in the recipe too (like, whoever heard of putting Anaheim peppers in fish chowder??). I sort of browse my fridge, so I couldn't duplicate it if I tried.

That's not very helpful, is it...? :frown:

If Donna would please excuse my intrusion on her thread, I have one I've done before that was pretty good that I can share. I make no claims that it in any way resembles Donna's dish:

- Dice 1 yellow onion, small dice
- Dice 1 russet potato, 1/2" dice
- Strip leaves from 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Saute onion, potato, and thyme in 2 TB butter and a pinch of salt until softening, about 5 mins
- Mix in 2 TB flour then cook until combined, another min or two
- Add 1/4 cup white wine, 1/4 cup clam juice, 2 cups vegetable stock, and another pinch of salt. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 5 - 7 mins
- Season 3/4 lb of a white fish like pollock or cod with salt and pepper then nestle it into the chowder. Cover and simmer until fish is opaque, 5 - 7 mins
- Break up fish with spoon and stir in 3 TB heavy cream. Cook for another minute then salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with garlic bread

Serves 2.

If not as-is, it may be a good starting point to add some of the more creative ingredients Donna mentioned.

Donna & Eric C
Thank you.

I like to try different things but I prefer they are suggested/approved by people I trust, before I jump in.

Jack

Back