• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Goetta

W. Hilditch

2 cups cooked steel cut oatmeal 6 servings
12 to 16 oz bulk breakfast sausage (10 patties)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion

Cook a batch of overnight oatmeal as shown below, but add a 1/4 bay leaf with the oats and forget the cream.

When doing the final oatmeal cook, sauté sausage in skillet on low and chop. When half cooked add the onions and chop. When oatmeal is very thick add the sausage and blend. Chill in fridge. Make 6 patties 4 1/2” dia. x 1/2” thick. I use a hamburger press lined with wax paper. They should be flat on both sides. Place on a 9” x 13” cookie sheet covered with wax paper and freeze. Cut around patties with scissors to have wax paper between them, stack and bag.

Keep frozen. When ready to cook, remove and butter both sides with room temp butter while still frozen. Cook on medium/low in skillet or griddle. Do not try to turn until the first side is crispy brown or it will break. Cook the second side crispy too.

A Cincinnati treat. Goetta, eggs, fruit and grilled bear claws with perked coffee works for a winter Sunday brunch. Don’t forget to warm your platters.

Hilditch

If you Google Goetta recipes you will notice that there isn't anything you can't mix in with the oatmeal, as long as it doesn't add moisture. If it would, use it as a topping after cooking.

Hilditch

You had me at perked coffee. I have drip, French press,and Starbucks close to office. My best coffee is on a camp stove with an old camp perk.

Back