Interesting Griswold

I think some nouns, when converted to adjectives become abused beyond recognition by those who don't know the definition of the noun. Like barbecued beans! I also think vintage is one of them. Just because it is used loosely does not make it right or correct.

Hilditch

Are you trying to tell me that they don't roast each bean on the grill over the fire before they add it to the pot with all the other beans? I feel used. :(

The word has a much broader meaning and varies depending upon usage and context.

OK, you got me with "2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic." That is the only one of those definitions that fits the recent use of the word, I believe, and it is pretty far down the list. But yeah, it does fit what we're talking about here. Of course, the dictionary does not tell us what is proper... it only tells us how words are used.

Seems like it would just be easier not to use the word vintage when describing cast iron.
Unfortunately, it goes FAR beyond cast iron. Just another meaningless (OK, almost meaningless) abused and overused buzzword these days. Personally, I prefer vintage English. :chuckle:

The term, in relation to CI cookware, is indeed abused and misused when it is applied to modern pieces that are not old, of quality, or considered collectible. Look no further than eBay for regular examples. It is perfectly acceptable, however, to apply it in the context of collectible CI, hence its use by the collecting community and also in the subtitle of this website to clarify that which is its focus.

English is unfortunately a living language. If a word is misused long enough, it becomes proper and it's definition is added to the list. I liked all the meanings everyone has added here but one isn't mentioned. Sellers use the word Vintage to mean "More Money For Me". :D

Back