Some Pics from the Dinkys Auction This Weekend

D_Madden

there were some fairly rare and hard to find pieces for sale at this auction... I didn't buy any of the big ticket items, but it was interesting to get to see them in person before they were sold to their new owners.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ucGlIhU

I think you can see the sold prices if you sign in to auctionzip and click on the online bidding for each day (friday 12/11 and saturday 12/12).

Thanks for posting the pics. I dont think I would be able to control myself in there........

That 3 lip #9 is amazing. Has to be one of the rarest pieces out there. Although I'm not a big fan of chrome or nickel plated pieces, that #2 is stunning. I see posts about this auction house all the time. It would be fun to see it in person, but it seems like the iron brings insane money.

The #2 was part of a set, 2 through 10... large block smooth bottom...seems someone had them plated and polished.. they sold them all together as a set for like 1800 or 2k... There are a couple of younger guys that decided they could put together a cast iron only auction at dinkys 3 or 4 years ago.. and it was pretty successful, then someone contacted them about buying a whole collection to sell.. then they bought another... they've had 5 or 6 cast iron auctions over the past 4 years... and like this one, they often include some pretty rare collector pieces along with more common stuff... the rare stuff brings premium prices because you have several collectors in the same place fighting over the one piece... but there are some bargains to be had as well... I'll post some of my pics over the next couple of weeks... some of the pieces I bought were 'unrestored' and relatively cheap.. .some were restored but still better than retail prices.

I thought that #2 looked a little "too chrome-y" to be original.

I'll see if I got a photo of the whole set... it was interesting for what it was.. .but it had to have been plated by someone other than griswold... they were all just mirrors and the markings were a bit obscured, kind of like when you enamel over the markings... but not to the same degree. I should also note... there were two #13 dutch ovens sold, two or three #13 skillets sold, a #13 skillet lid sold... there was quite a bit of more common stuff as well as pocket knives on saturday... but there was still a pretty amazing assortment of pieces that I doubt I'll ever stumble across at a flea market or yard sale.

I often wanted to bid on online auctions on auctionzip, but didnt quite understand all the fees. I g ok the impression you dont know the sellers actual shipping and handling fees until its over. Anybidy ever bid on auctionzip and how did it go?

I often wanted to bid on online auctions on auctionzip, but didnt quite understand all the fees. I g ok the impression you dont know the sellers actual shipping and handling fees until its over. Anybidy ever bid on auctionzip and how did it go?

yeah, I think it would depend on what you bought... packing and shipping a waffle iron and base would be different from packing and shipping a #14 ... I've only bid on a couple of online auctions where it didn't make sense to drive and pick it up myself (which I've done several times)... and they were both done differently. One place said I had to contact a local shipping place (like a ups store) negotiate a price with them to come and pick up the items, pack the items and ship the items.. .which I did, and it wasn't terribly expensive... but it was a small lot with only a few small items in it. The other one the auction company packed it up and sent it ups and just added the amount to my invoice. I'm pretty sure the guys at dinkys box everything up themselves and give you options on shipping. Even with the extra fees for bidding online I think they still sell between 15 and 20 percent of the items to online bidders.

Back