Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 PM

Default *Sigh*

This is what you get when buying from eBay. I don't know whether or not to open it....

Any recommendations? I already e-mailed pics to the seller.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Re: *Sigh*

Take lots of photos. The PO will not pay on insurance if it was not packed properly.

Hope for the best.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Site Admin

Been there. It's good that you started taking pictures before opening the box. Document, document, document. Hopefully, it's not damaged (either by or before the lousy packing). IMO, this one is all on the seller.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:50 PM

So here's the back-and-forth with the seller so far.

Me (pics attached)
"Hi. I finally received the pan, and this is how it arrived. I haven't opened it yet.

Not even a coat of bubble wrap? Nice job."

Him
"There is bubble wrap. However the box was not even damaged when I shipped it. USPS would not accept it if the box was damaged. I can only contribute it to rough handling of the package which is probably due to the holidays and the increased mail volume.

My apologies but I would have not shipped the skillet in a box of that condition.

My apologies."

Me (new pic with his return address on it)
"So you're saying you didn't send this? That isn't your name on the return address? I'm not saying you shipped a beat-up box, but I am telling you there is no bubble wrap in there."

Him
"I am precisely saying that I shipped the skillet in an undamaged box. I apologize for the USPS handling.

I believe that there isn't any bubble wrap where the side of the box ripped. But there was when it shipped.

I certainly understand the frustration."

I peeked inside the gaping hole, and there is clearly not an ounce of bubble wrap. smh

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------[/SIZE]

So do you think I should open it? If I did, I would video record myself doing it.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Site Admin

You're going to need to determine if it's damaged or not, so opening it will be necessary. I have only gone so far to video something to demonstrate it was warped (a spinner). It already sounds like the seller is going to claim packing material was there, regardless of if it was or not. It would be advisable to then show that even the amount of packing claimed was woefullly insufficient to protect the item in shipment. It's not the USPS' job to treat everything like eggs on the off-chance it's under-protected. You can point to more than one online example of best practices for CI packing for the seller to compare his to and see that his efforts, if any, were substandard.

http://www.castironcollector.com/selling.php#packing

or

http://www.wag-society.org/Packing/Packing.htm

I always try to remain calm in communications to sellers, but make it very clear what resolution I expect. Being confrontational often gives the other party the excuse to be unresponsive.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks, Doug. I really appreciate your feedback.

This was my last reply, to which I have not received a response:
"I still haven't opened it. I can see easily through the giant gaping hole that there is not one shred of bubble wrap in there. So your contention is that the USPS ripped a giant hole in the box, pulled the bubble wrap out, and then delivered it to my office?

I'm sorry, but that is a bit beyond belief. Seriously, if there were any wrap around the pan, I doubt that the hole would have been created.

I'm not saying you shipped it in a damaged box, but I maintain that there was no bubble wrap around the pan. And I believe that the USPS will not honor the insurance if it was not properly packaged. Like I said, I haven't opened the box yet. I don't know what to do at this point."

I generally agree about being non-confrontational. My communication with this guy is actually very out of character for me, I'm usually much more polite. I just don't like being lied to.

I guess I'll open it and see how it looks. And hopefully you guys can tell me if it's a fake or repro, lol. Although it might need a lye bath first to tell.

Thanks again!

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------[/SIZE]

So I opened it. I believe that the banging around may have chipped the seasoning, but that doesn't bother me as it's going in a lye bath straight away. Otherwise, it seems okay. Doesn't seem to wobble, not that I trust my laminate desk.

It doesn't look like it was bottom gated, but I don't know if there are other tell-tale signs of it being a fake/repro. Here are some pics:

Image Image
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Looks legit to me.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Site Admin

If not warped and not pitted (no pic of the inside), the only thing I would be concerned about at this point is a crack or chip, often obscured by old seasoning. If you want to try the "ring" test before the lye bath, just to see what it's about, hold the pan upside down on your fingertips (like a waiter with a tray), and flick or tap the rim. Intact pans have a somewhat-sustained ring; cracked ones, a dull thump. Crud can affect the sound, so it's not always reliable on an encrusted pan. Also note that some crusty pans don't wobble... until they're cleaned. Hopefully, you'll end up with a nice early 3rd series Erie.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:09 PM

Rats. I suppose this could have happened during shipment. It definitely goes all the way through.

Same pic without cropping below. It's right near the handle (seen in the upper right).
Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Site Admin

Looks fresh. The seller, however, did advertise it as being crack and warp free. If he won't stand behind his poor packing, therefore solely responsible for the damage, and allow you a return for refund, looks like you're going to have to make an eBay claim.