coated cast iron DO question

MaxS

I was given this coated DO that is in rough shape. Anyone know what the coating is and can/should it be removed? Should I put it in a E-tank to remove coating?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 58
Dan,
I figured it was porcelain, but wasn't sure. Do you know if It will be removed in an e-tank, or if I should even try to remove it?

I wouldn't remove it. I would float it in my lye bath to loosen the crud on the bottom and do the inside with Bar Keeper friend. If you submerge it in the lye it can cause the enameled inner surface to get hazy and rough. You could boil some water in it to get the inside even cleaner when your done cleaning the outside. Can you read the bottom?
I am guessing it is a lodge and it says South Pittsburg, TN.

I'm with Bonnie on this one. If that is porcelain, than it is original. I didn't realize that lye would damage it, but I do suspect that electrolysis may... I think they had to copper plate the iron first to get the porcelain to adhere and I don't think I'd trust the electrolysis with something like that.

I think you might just have a treasure there. I know Doug doesn't like us to call things Blacklock without proof. I can't wait to see what is revealed when you get that thing cleaned up. :p

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

That stuff that looks like cement on the inside of the pan is hard water deposits. If you boil water and vinegar in it for a long time it will start coming off in chunks. If you have an outside gas burner it is best done there or your house will smell like a pickle. :chuckle:

Ooooh... a raised "8"!! Mayyyybe!

So, you think the white on the inside is simply lime buildup, and not porcelain? Or lime buildup ON porcelain?

Ooooh... a raised "8"!! Mayyyybe!

So, you think the white on the inside is simply lime buildup, and not porcelain? Or lime buildup ON porcelain?

Build up on enamel. I restored an old tea pot that had that stuff on it. I had to let it simmer for hours but it all eventually flaked off and left a smooth enamel surface.

Thanks Bonnie and Dan. If that is a good find, You will never believe how I got it.
I saw a scrap metal place in my travels about 3 weeks ago, so I called the # on the door and left a message that I was interested in cast Iron cookware if he finds any. The guy didn't call me back. I was driving by today and stopped in. The guy was there and said he found a few pieces. One was a pan from Taiwan, so I said wasn't interested in it, and this one I said I didn't want because of the coating. He said "oh, I bet I could sand blast it off". I told him don't do that, so he just gave it to me, and told me to let him know how it cleans up. You would be surprised at how much old cast Iron ends up in scrap metal piles.

I saw 2 pots somewhat like this at a thrift store that I could make out "Pitts" something, but didn't pay much attention because of the condition, but I guess I better go take another look.

Last edited:
You should enter Blacklock in the search box and read some of the post about it. Blacklock was the original Lodge foundry. I see they had some spider skillets marked So. Pitts TN. I would say it is rare to find a marked piece of iron from the foundry.

I agree with Bonnie, that looks like cement was mixed it in. I don't know the correct way to clean it but I agree that heat will work. I'd throw it in the oven self-clean cycle myself.

I agree with Bonnie, that looks like cement was mixed it in. I don't know the correct way to clean it but I agree that heat will work. I'd throw it in the oven self-clean cycle myself.
I'd fear that might cause the porcelain to crack off. And if that really is a lime/hard water buildup, would that really help?

I'd fear that might cause the porcelain to crack off. And if that really is a lime/hard water buildup, would that really help?

I don't believe it's porcelain. I have never seen a porcelain coated CI on the inside only, they have been all or nothing. I very much could be wrong but I doubt it. :mrgreen:

Yes, heat causes the CI to expand and the coating (whatever it is) to crack off.

There is no way I would put that particular DO in a Self Cleaning oven. The chances of it warping or cracking are pretty high because of the thin casting.

I don't believe it's porcelain. I have never seen a porcelain coated CI on the inside only, they have been all or nothing. I very much could be wrong but I doubt it. :mrgreen:

Yes, heat causes the CI to expand and the coating (whatever it is) to crack off.
I have. For one example, see this thread: http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2659

But I have also seen it at a flea market on a larger bowl/cauldron/pot at least once.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

There is no way I would put that particular DO in a Self Cleaning oven. The chances of it warping or cracking are pretty high because of the thin casting.
You know, my LG range even tells me not to put the heavy CI grates in the self-cleaning oven.

Wow, where is the emoticon with the foot in his mouth? Great information Dan. As for the oven, I have only done skillets with good results but I have kept in mind the horror stories. I'm looking into an eTank. :oops:
FWIW, I picked up a manual battery charger for $20 at a pawn store. That's your single biggest expense in setting a simple one up.

Back