Old Spider Stuff.

My wife's Father was a owner of a antique store for ten years and a collector of junk. He left the antique business and died about ten years ago. Some relatives were out messing around in the barn and came across a stash of old cast iron. There was a assortment of 1920-40's Lodge, BS&R and Wagner Ware, and 8 old gate marked spiders. They were all in good shape but need to be cleaned. There are 6 gate marked skillets all about ten inches Some of these spiders do not have holes in the solid handles and none of them have pore spouts. There is one eleven inch gate marked dutch oven spider without a lid. None of these are marked with a makers name. How do I date these skillets.? Does the lack of a hole in the handle mean they are older then the ones with holes.? What am I going to do with all this iron.? I don't need it , What are your thoughts. Open to ideas. David

If you don't want to restore the iron or keep it you could put it on ebay at a reasonable price and maybe someone else would like to buy it and clean it up.

The "Grey book" (Early American Cast Iron Hollow Ware) has information about handle and leg design to help date these old pieces.

What to do with it all? If you are looking to get ride of some, I would love to take a look. Im about an hour south of you.

Back