SBL with Incised Number

MDFraley

Picked up a SBL #8 with early handle last week and after cleaning noticed a number 25 incised on the underside of the handle where it meets the pan wall. First time I've seen this type marking and was just wondering what significance it has if any to the Griswold P/N system.
Thanks in advance.
https://imgur.com/0PNcLiR

Oops.....Handle should be "late" handle and not early.

Are you sure? The pointed tip of the opening appears more early handle-like.
Nevertheless, the pan being a #8, probably the most popular size and therefore calling for the greatest number of patterns, the 25 probably just means they ran out of letters and it wasn't typical of Griswold to do double letters. Although I admit it's not something I've noticed before. Not sure if Y also being the 25th letter of the alphabet has any correlation or is just coincidence. Usually a number in that spot is seen on small pieces that would have been on a gang mold pattern.

Not completely sure. Was using the BB info on P.13 that said the early handle had a heat ring. May be misleading and the photo shown was a pan w/ a heat ring but not true of all. Anyway...I was looking at the photo of the 715 shown on P.22 and how it was incised in the very same place of the pan I listed. Guess I'll have to pay more attention in the future to see if there are other SBL's marked in a similar way.
Thanks for the input.

The (with heat ring) at the bottom of BB pg. 13 only refers to the #12. All other SBLs are smooth bottom. The pan shown is a smooth bottom #9, the light reflection off the shinier area at the rim might be what's being mistaken for a heat ring.

The #8 "715" on pg. 22 is incised with its pattern number in that spot and Griswold on the handle because of the bottom being milled after casting, a process which would have obliterated any cast-in markings. This is only noted in the pattern number listing in the back of the book.

Back