Longest Time for One Pan in the E-tank.

I've had my extremely crudded #8 in the e bath all day at 2 to 4 amps and I fear it needs another day ... at least. I'm making progress, but man this was some heavy crud! The rust is gone at least.

When do you know when it's gotten as good as it's going to get in the e tank? And what's your typical next step for crud that still hasn't fallen off after 2 days? I've hit the sides with a wire brush and it's not going to be giving up easily!

I will not get out the power sander ... I will not get out the power sander ... I will not ....

My e tank is a bit more advanced than yours ( 4 graphite plates/1 for each side) and I usually run about 10 amps. I've had pieces in for 2-3-4 days and they never got quite to where I wanted them, but they got very, very good. Stay away from the sander. You don't need it. There may be stuff (pure carbon) that even the e tank won't take off. Just be patient.

Okay, good. I am reassured, and will let her run all night. Thanks, Kevin.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

My e tank is a bit more advanced than yours ( 4 graphite plates/1 for each side) and I usually run about 10 amps. I've had pieces in for 2-3-4 days and they never got quite to where I wanted them, but they got very, very good. Stay away from the sander. You don't need it. There may be stuff (pure carbon) that even the e tank won't take off. Just be patient.

P.s. Kevin, what do you do about the stuff the tank won't take off?

Rob-

I recently went through exactly what your experiencing. I built my first etank, first charger was a 2 amp, it worked but I wanted more, went to a 6 amp charger, that worked better. First pan I did was a heavily used for years Victor, that seasoning was tough. I think mine was in and out of the etank for a week or so, eventually with etank, stainless steel brushes, and Lodge plastic scrapers I finally got it all off. This last week I just set up a lye tank, I should have done that to begin with, now I pile them in the lye tank, takes all the seasoning and gunk off, into the etank for a few hours or so for the rust and your done!

I am much reassured, gentlemen, and I appreciate your help! "In and out of the tank" .... I laughed as I read that because as I was taking my own in and out of the tank, I wondered "does any one else have to do this?

Oh another thing. Even at 2 amps I notice rust coming to the surface within minutes.

I am much reassured, gentlemen, and I appreciate your help! "In and out of the tank" .... I laughed as I read that because as I was taking my own in and out of the tank, I wondered "does any one else have to do this?

Oh another thing. Even at 2 amps I notice rust coming to the surface within minutes.

Rob, is your charger just a 2 amp charger, or are you just reading 2 amps on the gauge ? I thought you mentioned somewhere that you were getting more than 2 amps ??

P.s. - I just added a deep fat fryer with lots of rust to the drank and the current jumped to 6 amps right away. It has settled toward about 4.75 now, but I wonder whether the rust itself and the depth of a pan contributes to amperage.

Many things can effect how many amps you're getting: poor/good electrical connections, size of the piece being cleaned, size/number/type/cleanliness of anodes, amount of washing soda used, etc.

Rob, is your charger just a 2 amp charger, or are you just reading 2 amps on the gauge ? I thought you mentioned somewhere that you were getting more than 2 amps ??

Sent you a pm, and thanks for yours. Mine varies from 2 to nearly 6 amps depending on what mood it's in!

Back