Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 03-27-2020, 12:46 PM

Default Rust!

I have been trying to clean a fairly large dutch oven (without feet). I worked for days and finally removed all the black gunk. Then soaked twice for 30 minutes in vinegar/water to help with Rust. After soaking each time I brushed really good with soap and warm water. It looked great but before it could dry it started to show rust. Do I need to keep soaking in vinegar and water until I see no more rust? Use salt? Baking soda? Please, help. I am really stumped and don't know what else to do. I have never had this much trouble cleaning rust off one of my pieces. I've included 2 pics. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9201.jpg (56.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9202.jpg (46.4 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Rust!

Donna,

I use an electrolysis tank, so my experience with vinegar and water is limited. If you haven't done so, suggest reviewing what Doug has provided.

http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php

Are you completely submerging the piece in the vinegar/water? If not, it will flash oxidize before you finish. Also, keep it submerged in water or continually rinse it in cold water as you wash it with soap.

I typically wash a piece 3 or 4 times after it comes out of the etank and wipe with paper towels after each wash. Usually the paper towels are covered with black "rust" and by the 3 or 4 washing the black is greatly reduced and then I procede to put the piece in the 200 degree oven as Doug specifies.

Never had flash oxidation like that in your picture.

Also, suggest using cold water. Somewhere in the information provided by Doug, he mentions oxidation seems to be slower with cold water.

Another option is the product Evaporust. It works, but I think it is expensive. May be useful on a piece with "nooks and crannies". For a pure vanilla DO, shouldn't be necessary (in my opinion).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Site Admin

The phenomenon is more specifically covered here: http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php#initial
Old 03-28-2020, 12:06 PM

Thank you, Doug. So if I read that right, it should wipe off during the first seasoning process? I have cleaned and seasoned at least 10 pieces in the last several months and never had this happen before. Thanks so much. Ready to get through with this monster!