Favorite Piqua Waffle Iron

D_Madden

just got this one cleaned up... I really like the look of these FP waffle irons... very thin light casting... and pretty unique hinge/pivot design.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0Zh3ZYX

anyone have any guesses on time frame for this style... I would assume earlier than the typical ball joint hinge style.. but the blue book doesn't even show this style... and everything is dated 1916 - 1935.

oh also, I used grapeseed oil on this one... turned out with a nice color and finish... you have to be careful about wiping after its been in the heat for a while though... very light weight, thin oil... but goes on well and seems like a nice finish.

Very nice! Did it have handles? If not, how are you going to make them and out of what material? I have a Wagner 1910 that is in need of some more handles.

Very nice! Did it have handles? If not, how are you going to make them and out of what material? I have a Wagner 1910 that is in need of some more handles.

yeah, it had one handle... might be original... it was pretty 'charred' on the part that goes inside the iron... and held in place by a small tack/nail.

https://i.imgur.com/vMCkoXN.jpg

I might go with oak and finish them with a clear poly... rather than dark like you sometimes see.

I personally would be careful of using finish on the handle.(flamable in liquid or dried state) Hickory is the strongest for handles then a hard maple. A good lumber company should be able to supply you with either wood in a dowel form.(maple is very common) If you know someone with a lathe they can quickly turn you a pair of handles.

I personally would be careful of using finish on the handle.(flamable in liquid or dried state) Hickory is the strongest for handles then a hard maple. A good lumber company should be able to supply you with either wood in a dowel form.(maple is very common) If you know someone with a lathe they can quickly turn you a pair of handles.

ah... good point... I was thinking of how it would look, not so much about how it would perform... my son has a workshop with a big lathe (might be a pain to do little 5 inch waffle iron handles it that... I've considered one of those little mini lathes they sell for small projects (pens and such)... just to have around... although I'd probably buy it as birthday/christmas present for my son and just make him make handles for me... win - win.

I really like the design of your Favorite. It was a waffle iron on Craig's List that renewed my interest in cast iron (I didn't get it. The seller never got back to me).
The angle of the base handle compared to the paddles looks like a great idea to me. It kind of keeps them in the same area instead of having at least one set in the way.

Your son won't have any trouble making your handles. You can turn little stuff on a big lathe. The other way around doesn't work so good.
I'd go with maple or some other close grained hardwood. Easier to keep clean.

Back