Trying to season, getting brown gloopy streaks - newbie

Phoebe W.

hello everyone,

i recently obtained a cast iron skillet that used to belong to my grandma. i dont know what brand it is, it would be awesome to figure that out at some point. thats another issue, however.

it was in very bad shape with a huge amount of built up crud and pitting and chunky stuff all over it, so i stripped it using oven cleaner. i read online that it was ok to do that.

i successfully got it all clean and new looking. it was smooth and even toned and clean.

then, i attempted to re-season it using coconut oil, because i had it in the house, and i read online that it was an acceptable oil to use.

i spread the oil all over the pan and then put it into a 400 degree oven, upside down, for about 60-90 minutes. then i let the oven cool, with the pan still in it.

i have done this twice so far.

the problem i am having is that the oil seems to be leaving sticky dark brown stains all over the pan. it is covered in gloppy, sticky, sort of raised brown marks. they wont wash off and i dont know if this is is a normal part of the seasoning process, of if i am doing it wrong?

i have attached two photos.

thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_4341.jpg
    IMG_4341.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4342.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 55
I had always put my lard on too thick and have seen that before. I'd give that an hour at 450° and then cook with it. I think it will be OK.

Hilditch

Back