Crisco vs Flax seed oil?

My experience is limited since I've only done a couple, but I used Crisco and I am happy with the results.

Flax seed oil was awesome on some of the pans I seasoned with. But, on others it did not work well. Couldn't figure it out. The last pan I seasoned with Flax oil was a Wagner Chef skillet. Did an amazing job of leaving a thick shinny coat of seasoning but.....has taken forever to give the pan that sheen/black look that Crisco delivers every time.

Linseed oil and Flaxseed oil are almost the same. Linseed dries up nice on wood finishes. Makes sense it would be a good seasoner.

I think I just made up this new word "seasoner."

Flaxseed oil is linseed oil. The difference is that the version labeled as the former is suitable for human consumption, the other is not.

My first pan I seasoned after stripping by frying a pound of bacon on low heat. Let cool. Smeared bacon grease from bottom of pan all over it. Baked at 250 for several hours......results were great.

I have never used bacon as a means for seasoning.... next pan I will try. Seems like the way they did it in the old days before there was a choice of so many oils!!

Back