Seasoning coming off?

JoeAsh

I did my first round of oven cooking last night with the CI, I've cooked a few eggs and some sausage prior to that with no problem, but when I pulled the pan out of the oven and got the food out, there were spots of bare metal and light rust. All that was cooked was some breakfast sausage with biscuits on top. :confused:

A little confused by this, I had followed the directions on this site, used solid Crisco and made sure to keep the layer as thin as possible.

I have only ever had seasoning come off a pan in a silver dollar size chunk once, a long time ago before I had learned about seasoning techniques, and that was on my oldest skillet, a Lodge #10 SK "Made In USA" with an unpolished cooking surface. I'm certain I didn't use solid Crisco, and it's been so long I have no idea what I used or how I used it. I can accept the possibility of a situation where a chunk of seasoning might release, but it's the part about underlying rust I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. Are there any photos, before or after restoration and seasoning, of the pan in question?

I don't have any of the inside of the pan before I seasoned it. But there was no rust, and it wiped right off when I cleaned the pan before re-coating it.

Did you heat the skillet after you washed it and before you seasoned it. It sounds like moisture was trapped under your Crisco and could be your source of the rust.

It is like the painting on a house. If it keeps peeling, 9 out of 10 times you could have a moisture problem in the walls.

It is hard with no photos of before and after.

Just is info to think about, Good luck.

It was in the oven for maybe 45 minutes at 250 before seasoning it (I had forgotten it). Maybe moisture in the Crisco? I do use it for other things.

Back