Trying to identify Dutch Oven

Sally F

Hi Everyone

I live in California and am not a collector, but yesterday I bought a vintage enamel DO. It is a dark kelly green, oval, and has no identifying marks or numbers. I have looked all over the internet, including 300 pieces on ebay, and don't see anything like it. The lid is smooth, with no ridges. The one thing that stands out on this DO is that the off-white enamel extends to the tops/outsides of the handles. It is likely 4-5 quarts and weighs a ton.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Thanks in advance for any interest or help anyone can offer!

Sally F

If you are able to post a photo, it might be helpful, as many times an unmarked piece can be identified by characteristics it shares with its manufacturer's marked counterparts. This thread discusses ways to add photos to a posting:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2

If you don't have a photo hosting account, images from your computer may be attached to a post, but with filesize and dimensional restrictions.

Hi Doug!
Don't know how I missed the one you found on ebay, but it is a definite match to mine, though the maker is still a mystery. Thank you so much for your efforts!
Sally

At this point, I'm guessing it's an Asian import, and the origin info was on an applied label or the packaging.

Doug, I so appreciate your expertise!
What would be your guess as to its age? The lid knob is not all metal, does that mean it is newer rather than older?

I read, while I was searching, that years ago many companies didn't mark their wares.

I had no idea my purchase would fascinate me so. I'm thinking I did well by paying $16, which I initially balked at, for a moment.

The knob looks to mimic the classic Le Creuset phenolic knob. In the case of both makers, something that made lid casting less complicated than loop handles. That the handles on the pan are flat topped and don't angle upwards, together with the pan's overall heaviness, suggests automated molding line production, which first started in Europe in the early 1960s.

You are correct Doug about the phenolic lid handle, which I almost ruined during my first bake in spite of covering it with foil. Now I have removed it.

My main use of my new pot is for bread baking.

I'm assuming this pot is not in demand among collectors...would you agree ??

The regular phenolic knobs aren't much good past 375. Dutch oven bread baking is what initially started me acquiring cast iron. Ironically (no pun intended), it took me several years and a couple hundred bare iron pieces before I bought a Le Creuset DO. What you have there should work fine for its intended use. You're correct, though, it's value is only as a "user".

Thank you again for all your time and help. Poor you, TWO obsessions haha! I can sure see how easy it would be to go down the path you have though. I started baking bread a year ago and wow has it changed my world, all for the good. And now I can't go past a thrift store without looking for iron or clay vessels. And I wanted to make sure no one was collecting this (i think) lovely green pot that I am likely going to degrade with my prolonged high oven temps, though I have become a great fan of the cold pot/cold oven method which is much easier on the pot. Again, thank you for this site and your help.
Sally F

Back