Just out of the oven

Steven C

I had some Granny Smith in the fridge and thought to myself a pie is calling my name. The only glitch in my plan was I was out of brown sugar, oh well I'll use all white sugar. I usually use about half an half give or take.

It's still cooling on the stove it's only been out 15 minutes and I can hardly wait. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I don't have a set go to recipe for this yet I'm still playing around with it still.

Steve,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 62
My pie review is: I do prefer a brown and white sugar mix 60/40 or so I pour a bit over half and add brown sugar. This one seemed a little to sweet this time maybe the Granny Smith weren't quite as tart this time. I also omitted nutmeg as well as Apple pie spice, but seemed to be missing something. I did get a nice firm full body filling, I heated it up in a skillet with some melted butter and corn starch. Let cool and add to crust and top it.

Also I do think that a better flour makes a difference in the crust. This one just did not want to roll out nice I had also noticed it when I make home made egg noodles for chicken soup. Long story short I was out and when I was at the dollar store I bought the store brand. Anyone else think a better flour makes a difference?

Steve,

When out of brown sugar, make your own:

Light brown sugar - mix 1 Tbsp molasses to 1 cup of white sugar (mix well)

Dark brown sugar - mix 2 Tbsp molasses to 1 cup of white sugar (mix well)

Yes, Steven, the type and brand of flour make a difference. Amount of time the flour was held before sale can also affect quality. Your pie looks super! That kind of baking deserves "expensive" flour.:)

Thanks for the compliments and the tips on the brown sugar and flour. I don't do a lot of baking but I'm learning more and more, and enjoy a good challenge. It seems to be a skill and a art to master. It's easy to see why there are chefs that specialize in a area.

Steve,

Good job with the pie. I just wanted to let you know that I left a blueberry pie I made in my skillet for a full day. The pie got a metal taste and the seasoning got stripped in a few spots and it was a well seasoned pan, I think it was due to the sugar. Anyhow, nice pie, just might want to put on a plate/plates and not leave in the pan until gone.

Scott, cornbread without sugar will do the same thing your blueberry pie did to a skillet. Many dishes will eat seasoning if left in the pan overnight. Three or four hours makes me very uncomfortable with any dish. Cook it, eat it and get it out of the pan ASAP. Grease, oil and tiny bits of food is not a problem.

Hilditch

Scott, I removed pies and such As soon as it's cool and firm enough. And as Hilditch recommends try not to leave food to long in your pans.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 16
Good. I didn't know if you knew that, sounded like it was your first attempt at pie in a pan, which it may not have been. And as I said, I learned the hard way. Think, I will have to try one again. Hardest part about any pie it the darn crust, been working on good crust for a long time and still have yet to get what I want, no matter how many suggestions, tips, tricks, etc.. I try I still cant seem to get the perfect crust, like grandma used to make.

Scott, grandma's recipe for pie crust is below under recipes. If you don't want flakey, don't fold. A double recipe is recommended for a pie in a #8 skillet with a full top crust.

Hilditch

Good. I didn't know if you knew that, sounded like it was your first attempt at pie in a pan, which it may not have been. And as I said, I learned the hard way. Think, I will have to try one again. Hardest part about any pie it the darn crust, been working on good crust for a long time and still have yet to get what I want, no matter how many suggestions, tips, tricks, etc.. I try I still cant seem to get the perfect crust, like grandma used to make.

Scott I think every pie I make is a attempt LOL, as far as tip's go ues ice water. I just let it sit for a bit then pull out the cubes and add to flour. The shortening I'll measure and chill for a bit, then make the dough and chill. I still experiment a little. lately I've been using a pastry cloth to roll on. Forgot I had it, I used it to drain yogurt for gyros.

Back