Dumplings

MDFraley

Quick question from all you expert cooks...Have any of you used flour tortillas as the dumpling additive to Chicken & Dumplings?
My 70 year old cousin was telling me that she uses the tortillas cut into strips and dipped in flour for her recipe and they taste great.
Just wondering....

Thanks Hilditch...I have read that thread several times and the recipe sounds delicious.
I'm trying to see if at 70 you loose your desire to cook with tried and true recipes or you get lazy and look for an easy way out of the kitchen. She swears by the process and I ask her how flour sticks to flour tortillas and she says it does so who am I to question. I may try it one day or just wait until I reach 70 but that's a ways off.
Thanks again.

Quick question from all you expert cooks...Have any of you used flour tortillas as the dumpling additive to Chicken & Dumplings?
My 70 year old cousin was telling me that she uses the tortillas cut into strips and dipped in flour for her recipe and they taste great.
Just wondering....

Works well. Done it several times. Look for the thicker tortillas or make them yourself.

I’m 70 and have been the home cook for 40 years. Mediocre food; you know, the kind you get when you go out to eat 98% of the time, turns me off. That is why on my birthday I choose to cook myself. I realize I’m in the minority as every successful restaurant needs to please the masses.

We are lucky enough to be able to eat as we wish to the best of my cooking ability. Fortunately for me the women in my life for the whole time period have been happy to clean up the mess I make if I do the cooking, so we continue to eat good food while most accept mediocre.

If I had to cook and clean the story would probably be different. It isn’t just age. It is history and circumstances too.

Hilditch

Michael,
I have made chicken and dumplings using canned buscuits and they came out just fine. My two boys would eat the entire batch if I didn't stop them.

Cook what you like, however you want to cook it. It's all good.

Jack

I have to agree with Hilditch. The recipe that he posted above is very similar to my grandmother's, however, she called it "Popeyes". I have no idea why, but it was simple to make. But the trick was to use a stewing hen. She didn't cut her dumplings, she just tore them and dropped them into the broth after she rolled them out. Also, we would have scallions and salt on the side. We would start cooking the chicken right after church and it would be ready by supper! It only took about 20 minutes hands on time, but boy was it delicious!

Todd I think I understand the “Popeyes”. Whenever I have served Nita’s chicken to someone who has never had it I watch their first couple of bites. Their EYES get real BIG followed by a smile, just like mine did the first time I had it. Hard to believe until you have tried it.

Your grandmother surely had the dumpling technique of tearing and dropping them in one at a time.

Hilditch

O.K. Hilditch...You've gotten my curiosity up about the dumpling recipe. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. It's cooking as I write this so it may be late this evening before I will know if it was a success. I've made tomato dumplings in the past but I am partial to anything with tomatoes so hard to say if they were good as chicken dumplings. Guess after boiling the chicken should it not look or taste appetizing I could always make chicken & noodles. My so called "good camera" is on the blink again so don't look for any pictures. Maybe I should lay off buying cast iron and invest in a more reliable camera???
BTW...Spell check always catches your name when typing these threads. I'm thinking you should register it with Webster's as a culinary attribute and it would not be underlined in red every time. Either that or shorten it to Ditch...ha ha.

MD, If you right click on the underlined word one of your options should be to ‘Add to Dictionary’. Clicking on that should solve the issue. That’s what I had to do for Hilditch.

Please be sure to use the broth from the pot after the meat starts to fall off the bones to make the dumplings and keep that dough stiff. This is probably one of those dishes where the first bite with the eyes isn’t as good as the second bite. I vote for you getting a new camera. They are lighter than cast iron, don’t need to be cleaned and are fun too!

HD

Last post on dumplings....With a little luck I suppose the recipe worked great. I think I need to practice more on making the dough but other than that it was a success as far as I'm concerned.
I removed the wings and legs on the chicken which gave me ample room in my WW Cast Aluminum Kook All pot. I now have left over dumplings and four pieces to deep fry in my Cahill Chicken Fryer.

Back