Cooking in Cast Iron Rule #6

Tested your rule this morning. Been trying to speed up the seasoning process in a #8 BSR that I am giving to a friend. Fried eggs yesterday morning and about six slices of bacon. This morning I did a round of hash browns. The skillet has a lid so after the hash browns I whipped up a quick mix of corn bread covered it with the lid and left the burner set on med. Set the timer for 20 min. and set down at the computer. About 10 min. in I smelled something and the bread had already burnt (on the bottom) so I reduced the heat, flipped the bread and continued for the next 10 min. on low. Never before made corn bread on the burner with a covered lid so lesson learned. Did get a nice dark patina but the bread was a total loss.

Having no clue about cooking, I set the heat at ~2 or maybe ~20% and let things warm up. This seems low after trolling on this site. Its an old electric stove.

This seems to work on most things and helps seasoning, but maybe runs a bit hot. I noticed a bacon experiment seemed to burn.

Maybe I should crank things lower once at temp and or get a thermometer. Should cooking be exact? :)

Unless one is working in a food processing plant, the word exact does not belong near a kitchen. The number of variables is uncountable requiring attention and adjustments. A thermometer can be a useful tool at times but if it or a clock becomes a crutch one will never be a good cook. Desire, experience and trial and error are the things that lead to you knowing the temperature and time intuitively; as well as what adjustments to make ….. or not.

Hilditch

Healthiest Cooking Oil Comparison Chart with Smoke Points and Omega 3 Fatty Acid Ratios
Cooking Oils / Fats Smoke Point °C Smoke Point °F
Refined canola oil 204°C 400°F
Semirefined walnut oil 204°C 400°F
High quality (low acidity) extra virgin olive oil 207°C 405°F
Sesame oil 210°C 410°F
41 more rows, 1 more column

Once you smoke the oil it effects the taste of the oil. You will not like the taste

Use a candy thermometer to avoid too high a temp

Back