Newbie question

SvenB

Hi. New to the board. Working with my very first cast iron skillet.

So, I have an 11" Utopia Kitchen skillet. Even though it comes pre-seasoned I decided to apply some vegetable oil and let it heat up and cool down a couple times. Maybe not necessary, but I did it.

Wellllll....... I forgot it was on and the oil got too hot. It left a slight brown glaze. Since then I have cooked bacon and eggs in it sa couple times. I don't know just how non-stick it is supposed to be but I didn't have much trouble with the eggs and zero trouble with the bacon. Only used hot water and stiff brush to clean it. Re-oiled after drying it.

My question... should I steel wool that brown glaze off there and start from scratch seasoning it?

I don't think the burned oil will hurt anything if it's left , but that's only one person's thoughts. There's gonna be other thoughts an opinions. I only use a steal scrubber on my pans if things are really stuck on, usually things wash OSs with wot water an cloth. An alternative would be but some water in the pan and place on stove and heat, the warming water will soften the stuck stuff.

Romunda (Mundy)

Back