Thanks for accepting me into the community!

PJYoung

Thank you so much for accepting me into this great community! I have several piece of cast iron, but my main reason for asking to be accepted is I have run across several NEW cast iron makers. Boroughs Furnace in Syracuse, New York, Smithey Ironworks in South Carolina, and Stargazer in New Jersey. They are all new to the scene; within the last two years. How wonderful that someone new has taken the reins. I ordered a 10.5 inch from Stargazer last week and they stated that shipment would happen in November! I'm so excited! I ordered it unseasoned so I can pick the kind of season I want. Ok, now the question, has anyone ordered from any of these places and what kind of seasoning did you use and why. Thank you so much!

Welcome! I've never heard of those companies. As for what I use ... Crisco.

I read in here where some folks use Crisbee. I've been thinking about giving it a try, but haven't yet.

Generally I use a little olive oil after heat drying from washing I've also used coconut oil with good result for reseasoning and have used crisco (that's the way my mum taught me). The liquid vegetable oil I've found tends to leave a sticky residue in the pan . Try different ones stick with what works for you. Find an older couple where the site has used cast iron all get life, pick her brain for advice.

Hello, PJ Young. I have had good luck with spray on oils like PAM for a temporary seasoning, by which I mean to hold off flash rust until I've cooked on the pan a while. I prefer grapeseed oil as it's got a high smoke point and is very neutral (no flavor). Other folks here will tell you that my ideas are not the standard, but they've worked for me. Crisco is an old standby, but as I don't cook with it, I have a very old can of it, and will probably not replace when I run out, as the newer formula is different. These materials are only for cookware. I believe for display that there are quite different methods which folks on this site have described. Hope you have fun here--the amount of information is a great resource.

PJ, I have checked out the new makers of cast iron you mention, and they all look interesting. I still like my old Griswold and Wagner ones though. But that brings up a point, at the American Culinary website, they seem to sell some very nice new cast iron cookware also. All new, and US made, from what I can tell. While Cast Iron Collectors is focused on collectable cast iron from days gone by, maybe you or someone has experience with American Culinary you might share.

Another note while I'm thinking about. Don't overdo it with whatever you use, even on a brand new pot that has never been seasoned. A very thin coat is all you need or it will come out sticky.

Back