Unusual Skillet

BrianS

Just joined here. Not a collector, just a user of cast iron. Love them.
One question I have.
When I was in Seattle last winter wandering thru the stores, a lady came in with a cast iron skillet she was wanting to sell or get the price on. It was either a Wagner or Griswold in about size 8 but the only difference is it had raised ridges in the bottom of the pan, more like a grill. Does anyone have one of these and what were their purpose. I wish I had made an offer on it cause it might have made a great wintertime grill for steaks.
Thanks
Brian

I don't recall Griswold making one, but Wagner did, calling it a skillet grill. The originator of the design called it an Angus Broiler, which multiple foundries, including Lodge, made under license or as outsource producers.

Many years ago I obtained such a skillet with ridges inside. I sold it pretty quickly at a flea market, so someone thought it looked like a good idea too. I have one piece left from that time, a wok, which is marked Wagner Ware Gear. I thought the skillet was also marked that way, but the memory is fading into the mists of time <sigh>. The wok is a good use piece, but it weighs a LOT! Will be interested to see if the "grill" pan is also a good use item.

The Wagner skillets I seen are#9 post 1960,with USA made,I seen an other Wagner on eBay but I didn't pay attention marking on skillets because they were asking more than I paid for my car.:shootself:

I have one in my pile. its a GHW Wagner Ware, no number but appears to be the same size as a number 9 and called a fat free fryer. ive used it a few times. its a big pain to clean due to the ribs. ill end up selling it eventually.

I have an Axford broiler made around 1930, I use it at least once a week. It cooks beef tenderloin steaks like ones you would get at a steak house, I also cook flattened chicken breast in it. I love it !

Here is a Wagner Ware Sidney -O- 1129 pan that I restored a while back. They do seem somewhat popular on the second hand market, though I've never tried using one myself. This piece was purchased from me as a wedding gift for someone with the surname "Wagner".
DSCF8826 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8827 by Refinders, on Flickr

Back