Odd excelsior pot pan

It's a sad iron heater. Is the Excesior mark on it? The photos are too dark to tell. If there are any recently sold listings on eBay, that would be the best estimate. They don't really come up often enough to say. No mention in the RB for reference. Also, one thread per question, please.

It says excelsior St.Lois Missouri and has a # 8. It also has 2 cast markings one on each end

the 'cast markings' are referred to as 'gate marks'.

if it's marked 'excelsior' then that makes identification a lot easier and certainly raises the value (at least for people who collect excelsior)... GF Filley/Excelsior are better known for their gem pans... but there is probably someone out there that would like a marked sad iron heater.

the 'cast markings' are referred to as 'gate marks'.

if it's marked 'excelsior' then that makes identification a lot easier and certainly raises the value (at least for people who collect excelsior)... GF Filley/Excelsior are better known for their gem pans... but there is probably someone out there that would like a marked sad iron heater.
Thank you so much for the info. I'm new to collecting and love finding odd cast iron pieces.

I'm a little confused...do I call it a pot pan or a sad iron heater?

Well to answer my own question my grandaughter came down from Indiana and found it within 5 minutes lol... It is a marked excelsior fish fryer still very collectible to the right person but I'm going to keep it because I think it is awesome and it was made before the 1900's.

I'd like to see the reference to where it was called a fish fryer, because I'm 99.9% certain it is incorrect. It is as Doug said it is----a sad iron heater.

I'd like to see the reference to where it was called a fish fryer, because I'm 99.9% certain it is incorrect. It is as Doug said it is----a sad iron heater.

She found it on ebay. I dont know how to post links.I'm techknowllogically challenged :grin:

I would take Doug D's information over anything anyone said on ebay... I've seen a LOT of mis-identified and wrongly identified pieces on ebay.

I believe it has been pointed out before that these types of pans had multiple uses... heating sad irons, but also as a sort of long griddle... but it probably isn't deep enough to fry fish... the similarly shaped 'long shallow fryer' like the kind used on the sportsman grill could be called a fish fryer, but not this pan.

Good point. You're right about the sides being too short for a fish fryer. The picture looked like the same thing I had. I am trying to post better pics of mine.

New pics of odd excelsior pot pan

a8e69253986d87c096db3ed50d28eb7d.jpg
f25d0a7dae8828117c1c4628de24aaa7.jpg

Back